• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

lettuce

what lettuce do you feed?

• none at all

Votes: 32 60.4%
  • romaine only

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • anything that is really dark

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • anything thats not iceberg

Votes: 11 20.8%

• Total voters

charl86

Alpha Buck
just wondering how many people feed it to their buns? obviously iceberg is a big no-no but what about the rest? Anybody have any problems with it? Does the darker stuff have any nutritional value?

Ginger's never had any here, but Biccy loves Romaine, and the Red fluffy looking stuff :lol:

I don't feed it often though, its too expensive compared to spring greens :)

Might get some as a treat on shopping night this week though, :wave:

I've fed some of the non iceberg ones once, but dont bother now as there is cheaper and better stuff!!

Last edited:
I've tried romaine once but I'm too cautious :oops: every time I look at the lettuce in the supermarket I panic and can't remember what I can feed them, and I think they all look really light green!

We don't feed lettuce at all as it can give bunnies diarrhea and it lacks nutrients, Iceberg lettuce can cause problems as it's acidic and can upset bunny tummies :)

I don't feed any. Mainly because I thought even the safe ones were mainly water and had little nutricional value so there didn't seem much point.

:wave:wow i'm suprised that so many people have voted that they don't feed it at all, I wonder if that is mostly due to the cost as a couple of you said or for the reasons Tuckerbunnies mentioned?
Sooty has romaine lettuce if I'm feeling rich or it's on offer, but I give him other types aswell, I just go for whatever's darkest but cheap! I did introduce it quite cautiously but his tummy seems to be fine with it.

I don't feed any as I figure there's so much else they CAN eat which is 100% safe there's just no point going there! :D

None, I don't see the point in risking it. Although having said that I would try a tiny it of romaine but our supermarket doesn't stock it.

voted the dark leaf option, but the only time mine get any is when we have bought a mixed bag for ourselves for dinner, they get the "scraps", but that's not very often at all, once a fortnight maybe?

I voted anything but iceberg. They have round lettuce or curly lettuce most often, sometimes romaine, and very occasionally I let them have some little gem.

There are risks with most things they eat -the root vegetables are too sweet, the cabbage family might give them gas, spinach and cabbage can have high levels of calcium, etc. All the good stuff (herbs) only comes in small quantities. So I just try to keep it varied and keep the quantities small.

Back