• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

More bunny boarding polls

Would you pay slightly more for shed/run combo than a hutch?

• Shed/hutch combo

Votes: 15 100.0%
  • 6ft hutch

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

molly35

Mama Doe
There will be quite a few of these coming over the next few days. I am seriously thinking about it as I already have my own 2 and have fosters so another 1 or 2 that I was getting paid for wouldn't hurt and would help pay towards the keep of the fosters.

Any thoughts, suggestions etc regarding bunny boarding would be greatfully received.

The above poll should read shed/run combo!!!!

Last edited:
I think it's great that you thinking of doing this. We've been doing it for several years now, but just be aware there are hidden costs involved i.e you need to keep accounts and do a tax return regardless of if you make a profit or not and you will also need business insurance. The fact that you will be doing it to be able to fund the fostering doesn't come into it I'm afraid, if you are offering a service that you get paid for you need to declare it and hence the costs add up. Add onto that the cost of the food, hay, bedding, toys etc there really isn't a lot left out of the daily fee you might charge.

The boarding place I use has slightly higher charges if you book one of the play houses or aviary's. Now my buns are in a shed at home I would pay more especially if it was for a week or more, for them to have the same size accommodation as they have at home.

good luck, I'm sure there is an awful lot of work involved in setting it up!:wave:

i have been thinking about it aswel because my youngest son is starting school nxt sept and i wont know what to do with myself. :roll:
i cant really get a job as my daughter has special needs and i would have to have to much time off for appointments/illness etc.
but i could do it around my other commitments. :)

I think it's great that you thinking of doing this. We've been doing it for several years now, but just be aware there are hidden costs involved i.e you need to keep accounts and do a tax return regardless of if you make a profit or not and you will also need business insurance. The fact that you will be doing it to be able to fund the fostering doesn't come into it I'm afraid, if you are offering a service that you get paid for you need to declare it and hence the costs add up. Add onto that the cost of the food, hay, bedding, toys etc there really isn't a lot left out of the daily fee you might charge.

How many bunnies do you board?
I was going to provide toys but I would prefer people to bring own food/hay as we know bunnies can be fussy and I wouldn't want them to get upset stomachs.

I am confident I can do the accounts myself.

If you don't mind me asking what do you pay for business insurance? Or you could pm me.

The place I board my bunnies uses hutches. That's fine with me because they have a hutch at home.
If my bunnies were used to a shed then I would definitely pay extra for that.

I know it is a bit different but my vet offers boarding (all indoors). There are a variety of different combinations and sizes they offer. I always spend that bit more to get them the largest size they offer.

I'd pay more for them to have more space to run about in. :D They have a 2 storey 6ft hucth at home and a 10ft daytime run so i'd want them to have equivalent or more space.

I pay more for a small shed with secure sectioned-off run attached. It's not huge, but more roomy than a hutch. My two freerange in the house so I can't imagine they would be AT ALL pleased if their hoomin servant booked a hutch instead of a shed/run for their jolly hollidays :shock:

How many bunnies do you board?
I was going to provide toys but I would prefer people to bring own food/hay as we know bunnies can be fussy and I wouldn't want them to get upset stomachs.

I am confident I can do the accounts myself.

If you don't mind me asking what do you pay for business insurance? Or you could pm me.

Food wise we have a room where all food is kept we stock more or less every common brand on the market so when we send out booking forms etc we ask what food the animal is on so that we can provide it. People may expect a lower boarding fee if they have to provide their own and you will also find they either underestimate how much they need to leave, or they do the opposite and then accuse you of not feeding their pet cos they expected more to have been gone from the bag:roll:

Business insurance varies depending on who you go with and the cover you get but if you look at between £100 - £175 a year that should cover it.

We can board up to 50 rabbits at any one time (if in pairs and triples etc) less if single buns. It takes a lot of work and a very good relationship with a rabbit savvy vet, but is very rewarding too, so I hope it works out well for you.

Back