• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My wild bunny's been swamped out...

georgie_f

Mama Doe
... and I'm not sure what to do. :(

The bottom of the garden gets very swampy when it rains and he's been living under Cloud and Barley's playhouse down there. It's obviously far too wet under there now and I can see him sat in the middle of the garden in the rain.

Anyone have any idea what I can do for him? There isn't much shelter in my garden except for under the playhouse. I'd hate for him to either get too wetand die, or to find somewhere dry to sit and be easy pickings for the neighbours cats. :cry:

could you make a small wooden hidey hole? and put a bit of tarpauling or plastic on top that he could go hide in jsut makea hole thats only big enough for a wildy?! (smethin similar to a hedgehog hide from pah?!)

could you make a small wooden hidey hole? and put a bit of tarpauling or plastic on top that he could go hide in jsut makea hole thats only big enough for a wildy?! (smethin similar to a hedgehog hide from pah?!)

Do you think he'd use it? I did wonder about putting something like that in the garden but figured he wouldn't like it. I did wonder about getting a length of plastic tube or something and stuffing that with hay and putting it behind the plants or something.

He's still sitting out in the rain. :(

Poor baby :( I think deffo get him some sort of shelter filled with hay and tuck it behind and out of the way, then put some food in there so he knows it's there.

A length of 4" pipe both sides of a wooden box & running theough plants would be an ideal burrow for him.
They like to have more than 1 exit to feel safe.

Hmmm. I've just been down the garden to see just how wet it is under the playhouse... it's saturated. The rain isn't even running away now.

I figured whatever I make would need at least two exits. I've propped a piece of wood against the fence for now. It won't be particulary safe or warm but at least it'll be a bit dry.

I think I might order a long plastic tunnel for him. Or make a wooden one.

He's still sat in the rain! :roll:

Hmmm. I've just been down the garden to see just how wet it is under the playhouse... it's saturated. The rain isn't even running away now.

I figured whatever I make would need at least two exits. I've propped a piece of wood against the fence for now. It won't be particulary safe or warm but at least it'll be a bit dry.

I think I might order a long plastic tunnel for him. Or make a wooden one.

He's still sat in the rain! :roll:

Good idea about propping the wood against the fence - at least he has shelter if he wants it.

What about something like this but bigger, Mike made this shelter for the two partridges that use to come every day and they hated the rain and would sit under the hedging, we thought they may appreciate the shelter but of course they never went in it but birds use it on windy and cold days. It was quite simple to make and if you fill it in at the front leaving a rabbit sized gap for the Wildie or have you any wide plastic tubing as they will go inside it with it being a burrow like tunnel. Our buns love them. When workmen are putting pipes in they will give you the off cut's if you ask as they only throw them away.

The Partridges shelter.
shelter002.jpg

Tubing
tubing001.jpg

What about something like this but bigger, Mike made this shelter for the two partridges that use to come every day and they hated the rain and would sit under the hedging, we thought they may appreciate the shelter but of course they never went in it but birds use it on windy and cold days. It was quite simple to make and if you fill it in at the front leaving a rabbit sized gap for the Wildie or have you any wide plastic tubing as they will go inside it with it being a burrow like tunnel. Our buns love them. When workmen are putting pipes in they will give you the off cut's if you ask as they only throw them away.

The Partridges shelter.
shelter002.jpg

Tubing
tubing001.jpg

:love::love: Maysie your garden must be like an animal paradise

Can't really add to other people's ideas :wave: but think it's really sweet he's still in your garden!

If there are any workmen kicking about (laying pipes) ask them for the offcuts of the tubing as they're normally dead happy to give it to you - less for them to cart to the tip :lol: Would give him something to play in too.

are the workmen really ok with giving bits away?...ive always wanted to ask as they look so much fun for a bun!:lol: im going to ask next time...;)

Haven't seen any workmen for ages. They seem to do all the digging up of roads etc in the middle of summer. :roll:

I went to P@H yesterday looking for some of those green stretchy tunnels but they didn't have any. :( It's horrid here today aswell - there's a tree blocking our lane that's blown over, the weather is that horrible. I hope he's ok as I haven't seen him at all so far today.

to make a shelter, maybe tightly sellotape a plastic bag to the base of a cardboard box, then cut an archway either side. turn it upside down and either wedge it under your strip of wood or put a stone on top to stop it blowing away.
You can use a coffee jar lid or other small plastic container to put a bit of rabbit food or some carrot pieces into it and put it in a corner of the upturned box.....leave a bowl for rainwater too.
It's possible the wildie likes to play in your garden but does have a warren to hide in during bad weather? But it makes sense to provide a bit of shelter in case he doesn't.
sue:wave:

are the workmen really ok with giving bits away?...ive always wanted to ask as they look so much fun for a bun!:lol: im going to ask next time...;)

Just smile sweetly and say it's for a pet rabbit, they might say no but it's worth an ask. I've never had problems :wave:

I've ordered a tunnel thingy from Runaround - http://www.runaround.co.uk/shop/

I'm hoping I'll be able to shove some hay in it for him and pop it round the side of the shed out of the rain. Fingers crossed he'll use it! It's been quite dry lately but the garden's still saturated :roll:

My boys love their runaround pipe the most, I'm sure Wildie will love it.

Well done for your efforts to sort him out!

S.x

Last edited:
Back