• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter Training - Not using litter trays

barney_b

New Kit
Hi everyone,

We've got an 11 week old mini lop (Belle) and although she always eliminates in her cage (even when she's got the run of the living room) she never uses either of the litter boxes we've placed in her cage. If we move the litter boxes around to where you last eliminated she simply goes in the opposite corner or nearby.

We've tried putting hay she's eliminated on into her litter box but it makes no difference, it's like she see's the litterboxes as her clean areas and the rest of the cage as her litter tray.

Any ideas on how to reverse her thinking?

I have a bunny like this, and I just can't stop him pooping on the floor, he uses his litter tray as well. SO will be watching this thread to see if I can get any tips. I HAVE heard that once a rabbit decides on it's toilet, it' very difficult to get them out of the habit:roll:

So fingers crossed someone who know what to do shortly:D

ETA Also speying or neutering will help a great deal with them trying to mark thei territory

I'm having this problem with Oscar, he was going in the front corner (when his litter tray was in the back corner) so I moved it to the front, and now he's going in the back corner! Will move it again tomorrow to see if it happens again... He does go in the litter tray sometimes, but it's mostly outside :s

EDIT: After cleaning out his litter tray and the back corner today, and they putting a toy in the back corner and leaving his litter tray in the front, he is using the litter tray! I just hope it lasts...

Last edited:
Back