• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What's involved in a homecheck?

Nicola1

Wise Old Thumper
The RSPCA lady who I'll be fostering the hammie and gerbil for is coming around on Wednesday. She seems lovely but I'm dead nervous. What will she want to do?? I'm assuming she's going to do a homecheck, is that just her talking to me? Will she want to have a look at how I'm keeping the furbabies? (not that I mind, just want to know what to expect and if I need to hoover upstairs :oops::lol:)

I can only go on the homechecks I have had for the bunnies, but the main point is to make sure you are committed and know what you are doing, so they'll be looking for the usual essential stuff, like accommodation/space; what they will have for eating; any equipment, or toys or litter or bedding you have for them; that you know how to look after them properly; that you arent an animal hoarder living in filth, or a backyard breeder, etc etc.

I am sure you will be just fine!! :wave::D:D

She will be doing the obvious at looking at your accommodation. She may also be wanting to get an impression of you and how you look after your animals, your beliefs, stuff like that.

Just be yourself :) that's what home visitors like best, and also, if youre trying to be something you're not, they are likely to know.

I hate saying that we do 'home checks' sometimes because it seems like we are conducting an interrogation or something and by the time we do actually carry out a home check we have already discussed things like accommodation, adoption fees, other animals that they have, diet etc and I have already met the potential adopters and had a chat. I know that people really stress out but we really just want to make sure that our rescue animals go to the best homes.

Sometimes we get people that ring up wanting an animal and then their next question is do we carry out home checks and when I say we do then they aren't interested which to my mind means that they know that they aren't suitable. Sadly those morons will go to a pet shop.

You'll be fine, I am sure. Our main aim is to work out whether you can provide a suitable home for a rescue animal and that doesn't mean snooping around the rest of the house or looking to see whether you have hoovered:lol:.

We have just taken in another elderly cat from Cats Protection and to be honest I was mortified at the state of the house before our home check - we had actually been out for the day fundraising and a kids party had been taking place at ours!! The house was a bloomin tip.:roll: and there was a few straggling kids left over from the party too which didn't bode well!

:lol::lol: just cos the other hammies are upstairs I thought she might want to see them.

There's nothing to worry about I know, the animals are always clean even if there are a few stray poos and the rest of the house is a tip :oops::lol:

:lol::lol: just cos the other hammies are upstairs I thought she might want to see them.

There's nothing to worry about I know, the animals are always clean even if there are a few stray poos and the rest of the house is a tip :oops::lol:

You'll be great Nicola, please remember to post pics when you get them ;)

A hammie and a gerbil :D from NRSA (the small animal branch of the RSPCA up here). Where have you been?? I've missed you!! xxx

Awww lovely! good luck, i'm ok been a bit here and there sort of thing, my uncle is dying at the moment and his wife (my aunt has been battling cancer) so as you can tell its not a very nice time here :( xxx

Awww lovely! good luck, i'm ok been a bit here and there sort of thing, my uncle is dying at the moment and his wife (my aunt has been battling cancer) so as you can tell its not a very nice time here :( xxx

:cry: oh Julie I'm so sorry xxxx

:cry: oh Julie I'm so sorry xxxx

I know its very sad indeed but what can anyone say? he had to go into a home while my auntie had her treatment but as he has emphysema anyway the home couldnt help so sent him into hospital and he has just given up and wants to die, very sad indeed. xxxx

I know its very sad indeed but what can anyone say? he had to go into a home while my auntie had her treatment but as he has emphysema anyway the home couldnt help so sent him into hospital and he has just given up and wants to die, very sad indeed. xxxx

:cry::cry: what an awful situation. Thinking of you xxxx

I'm fine, just a bit worried about my auntie, i darent post anything on fb because i have cousins, family etc on there i dont want to make it worse for them. xxx

Yeah that's understandable. You know you can always PM me or text me :wave: xxxx

Back