• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do rescues ever rehome/have

Carrie14

Mama Doe
buns with the same problems as Tulip. I.e. scar tissue on lungs, on going need for meds and most importantly need a terrifying amount of food to pick on through the day? For example porridge tons of fresh, lots of pellets etc.

He would have to be a verging on anorexia bun just like Tulip. With the sad fact that he would never become a regular bun.

Just toying with an idea. Not at the moment though:(

Yeah rescues quite often get bunnies who need free-feeding. They don't often advertise them for rehoming though. It might be worth calling a few local-ish rescues and asking them.

A bun with severe dental problems might be a good candidate...I have a couple who never put on excess weight despite being free-fed

Would you be looking for a bun who needed free feeding, or a bun who specifically had similar problems?

Yeah rescues quite often get bunnies who need free-feeding. They don't often advertise them for rehoming though. It might be worth calling a few local-ish rescues and asking them.

A bun with severe dental problems might be a good candidate...I have a couple who never put on excess weight despite being free-fed

I would call them now, but o/h needs time (and me going on at him:oops:) to accept that Tulip can't live with a healthy bun but still needs company. Need to get her weight back up first too:(

Would you be looking for a bun who needed free feeding, or a bun who specifically had similar problems?

Just one that is guaranteed not to get better sadly. As long as they are compatible in feeding and energy.

I really cant see any other option for Tulip. The vet thinks she has a good length of time left. Just, she will never be able to live with a regular greedy bun.

Hi, I permantly foster a rabbit with ongoing medical problems and his mistreated wifey too. They live indoors in the conservatory. The rescue were really glad for them to be in a loving home where they had the individual care and love of any normal bun as they have a good few years ahead of them but were not in a position to be rehomed as healthy buns and I adore them both :love:

Hi, I permantly foster a rabbit with ongoing medical problems and his mistreated wifey too. They live indoors in the conservatory. The rescue were really glad for them to be in a loving home where they had the individual care and love of any normal bun as they have a good few years ahead of them but were not in a position to be rehomed as healthy buns and I adore them both :love:

I just searched for a pic of them. I love the one where they are sunbathing:love:

I love seeing Tulip in the warm, dosed up on all her meds. She is so much more comfortable now. She would have been dead if we hadn't of got her:cry:

I just adore them, they are such loveable characters. It can be a bit stressful when Archie is very poorly but they have both really blossomed since they arrived. Being fosters has it's advantages too as I don't need to stress about vet bills. The rescue I foster for like to pay for everything food, toys and vet stuff but I do food etc and the odd vet bill when I can as I hate taking money that could be used for other buns but then they hate me to be out of pocket :lol::lol:

I just adore them, they are such loveable characters. It can be a bit stressful when Archie is very poorly but they have both really blossomed since they arrived. Being fosters has it's advantages too as I don't need to stress about vet bills. The rescue I foster for like to pay for everything food, toys and vet stuff but I do food etc and the odd vet bill when I can as I hate taking money that could be used for other buns but then they hate me to be out of pocket :lol::lol:

I understand the stress side of things. I always try to hide from Tulip when I cry. I just wish her old owners had got her to a vet:(

What is the down sides to permanent foster, and do you have the option of fully adopting them in the future?

It sounds interesting. O/h's main problem with all my buns is the money side of things. I didn't realise this. I would not be able to accept money for food though, always nice to have a hand with vet bill though:lol:

Can't yet anyway, as Tulip needs to get her weight back on. Future plans ahoy:lol:

I've not really had a downside so far. Archie was in rescue and due to find a new home, then when he had problems with abcess' on his jaw and there was no cure only palliative treatment they felt it was really sad for him to live life on his own at the rescue with all the other buns hopefully going off to pastures new. I saw him advertised on rabbit rehome as needing someone that could give his daily meds including injections. I went and met the lady and buns and they came and checked out my setup. I told them to bond him with whoever they chose as he deserved company, which they did. So, it's kind of an arrangement of trust really, he has a forever home with me but remains the rescues rabbit.

What a wonderful thing for all of you:love:

I wont be as lucky as you and (if it happens) will have to pay vet bills anyway:lol:

:lol: You never know, there are quite a few special needs buns out there if you look. The rescue these guys are from are not a well known one and only advertised on the off chance, they are so grateful to me and there is no need as I love the buns as my own pets anyway! I send the lady pics, videos and updates regularly as I hope it lifts their spirits on tough days at the rescue to know that 2 of the buns are happy :D

Back