• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

reintroducting lop eared rabbits

Kathy J

New Kit
Hi. We have boy and girl lop eared rabbits. They were happy together initially until both had ops (both neutered) and we then found it difficult to put back together. Now they are 20 months old and we have built a large cage with the old hutches placed in it so it is more or less open space/neutral territory (which we were not able to do before). They managed an afternoon, evening and so far all of today. However I have noticed the male trying to hump the female from the front - the female then just runs off as if to say 'no way'. Is this worrying behaviour - it doesn't seem to be particularly aggressive. Before, when we did not have completely neutral territory they began to do this and fight - we are just worried about them getting hurt.

Mounting is a way one bun shows dominance. Thats about all I know though :oops:

Hi. We have boy and girl lop eared rabbits. They were happy together initially until both had ops (both neutered) and we then found it difficult to put back together. Now they are 20 months old and we have built a large cage with the old hutches placed in it so it is more or less open space/neutral territory (which we were not able to do before). They managed an afternoon, evening and so far all of today. However I have noticed the male trying to hump the female from the front - the female then just runs off as if to say 'no way'. Is this worrying behaviour - it doesn't seem to be particularly aggressive. Before, when we did not have completely neutral territory they began to do this and fight - we are just worried about them getting hurt.

Did you clean the 'old hutches' out with 50:50 Water:White Vinegar ? If not, they wont be neutral.

Also, how large is their area? Bonding should be done in a small neutral area, not just neutral, normally about 4ft x 2ft.

Head humping can be common (i got a little when i bonded my two) and should be monitored, as the humpee could bite the humpers genitals, which would be VERY painful and could require a vet visit.

Back