• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

underweight nethie. U/D post 21: worked out total weightloss. how much is too much?

Took the buns to my old vet today because im still registered from when i had them neutered and i had a free vaccination to use up.

Wouldnt trust them for anything other than neutering and vaccination TBH. Anyway, he said that Dolly is underweight because he can feel more of her spine and ribs than he would like :( He didnt bother to weigh her or check her teeth incase this was a possible cause. :censored:

Now im wondering wether i should take her to my bunny savvy vet for a check up, or maybe weigh her myself again and call them to ask what her weight was when she was there last month.

She was the "runt" and very small and weak when i first saw her and she has always been small, she has put weight on, but im now worried, especially as its starting to get cold and my parents wont let them live indoors.

Help on what to feed her to help her get her weight up would be much apreciated. She has an egg cup of SS on a morning, bowl of greens/veg on a night and unlimited baled hay. Any other advice would be much apreciated. :(:(:(

Last edited:
I think the fact you are posting here, suggests you are concerned. If your concerned, best place ... vets :)

Your old vet sounds pretty shocking to be honest.

If your bunny savvy vets say its something to be concerned about, i'd go from there.

Hope Dolly is okay.

Gray

I think the fact you are posting here, suggests you are concerned. If your concerned, best place ... vets :)

Your old vet sounds pretty shocking to be honest.

If your bunny savvy vets say its something to be concerned about, i'd go from there.

Hope Dolly is okay.

Gray

Im more worried because its coming into winter and going to be more difficult to get her to put weight on, especially as shes such an active bun. If i cant get some weight on her in the next couple of weeks, then the vets is exactly where we'll be heading. Id like to see if i can feed her up a little first. Angela suggested feeding more of her pellets and sprinkling rolled oats on top. Think im going to give this a try, but would like some other things to try too.

I would check how much weight she has lost.
Then, if she is under weight start feeding her more pellets (gradually increase) possibly seperting your pair so Dolly can eat by herself, and prehaps feed her some porridge (warm water and oats and let them swell)

Mae's going through this :wave: hope Dolly is okay

I would check how much weight she has lost.
Then, if she is under weight start feeding her more pellets (gradually increase) possibly seperting your pair so Dolly can eat by herself, and prehaps feed her some porridge (warm water and oats and let them swell)

Mae's going through this :wave: hope Dolly is okay

Thats what i was thinking. Im going to london for 2 days tomorrow and i cant cancel it so i dont think ill be able to get to the vets until next week anyway.

Thats what i was thinking. Im going to london for 2 days tomorrow and i cant cancel it so i dont think ill be able to get to the vets until next week anyway.

weigh her now if you can and give the vets a call to see how much she might of lost and book her in for when you get back :wave:

weigh her now if you can and give the vets a call to see how much she might of lost and book her in for when you get back :wave:

I cant weigh her now as we dont have any human or digital scales. We just have the kitchen scales with th bowl on top and the dial and shes too big for it now :roll: I dont think they are very accurate either.

I usually borrow them off my friend but shes gone to uni. I think i might invest in some.

try and get her to a rabbit savvy vet, also ive heard bunnies losing weight on SS compared to burgess, soo maybe if she has lost weight increase her pellets graadually as suggested, is she overly thin, can you feel her spine, see her ribs

try and get her to a rabbit savvy vet, also ive heard bunnies losing weight on SS compared to burgess, soo maybe if she has lost weight increase her pellets graadually as suggested, is she overly thin, can you feel her spine, see her ribs

Mae lost hers on burgess after swapping from P@H :roll:

She isnt overly thin, shes always been the smaller of the 2 and has always been the greedyest. The vet suggested Marley was bullying her for food, but they dont fight over food and Dolly is the dominant bun.

Her diet hasnt changed, apart from me buying better quality hay, which they love. Its the fact that nothing has changed that worries me. No vet has said anything about her weight before, they always commented on how bright and happy they seem.

Im now madly trying to find somewhere for them to go while im in London. My dad was going to do it, but he wont bother keeping an eye on her to see if shes getting her fair share and he certainly wont faff on making porridge. :cry:

She isnt overly thin, shes always been the smaller of the 2 and has always been the greedyest. The vet suggested Marley was bullying her for food, but they dont fight over food and Dolly is the dominant bun.

Her diet hasnt changed, apart from me buying better quality hay, which they love. Its the fact that nothing has changed that worries me. No vet has said anything about her weight before, they always commented on how bright and happy they seem.

Im now madly trying to find somewhere for them to go while im in London. My dad was going to do it, but he wont bother keeping an eye on her to see if shes getting her fair share and he certainly wont faff on making porridge. :cry:

How are you getting to london?

Kings cross? I cant find it on any train maps thing but if you're going through wellingborough/kettering/northants I might be able to look after them?

no i dont think i will be, but thanks for the offer. I wont be able to get all of their things on the train anyway. If we were driving, i might consider taking them with me. Although, im not sure the people in the B&B will apreciate 2 bunnys hopping around :lol:

no i dont think i will be, but thanks for the offer. I wont be able to get all of their things on the train anyway. If we were driving, i might consider taking them with me. Although, im not sure the people in the B&B will apreciate 2 bunnys hopping around :lol:

Oh well! I have a spare hutch 'cause mine are indoors now. The offer stands for future winters ;)

Get your little one checked by a bunny savvy vet, my little Nethie had dental problems that caused weight loss. I'm told they're prone to this, but even if I'm wrong still get them checked and good luck with your appt :D

If I'd seen this earlier I'd have come picked them up and looked after them here!! Don't worry about her Sophia, when you get back from London just have her checked at your rabbit savvy vets and make sure she is panacured.:)x

If I'd seen this earlier I'd have come picked them up and looked after them here!! Don't worry about her Sophia, when you get back from London just have her checked at your rabbit savvy vets and make sure she is panacured.:)x

Its ok, ive made them "packed lunches" and detailed instructions for dad. She wasnt interested in the rolled oats last night, so hes just going to give her extra pellets on a morning for now and give them their own bowls.

I cant help worrying about Dolly, shes so little and always the one with the problem. High maintenece girl ;) Ill get her seen when i come back, just in case. I really hope it isnt her teeth!!

Im currently on the train...i think i have an RU addiction. I only get 15 min free wifi and i choose RU over college work. hehe.

ETA: They were both panacured last month.

Back