• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help!

Sayrah82

Alpha Buck
Oh wise ones of RU!

I need some help please...

I work as a stage manager and after years of touring, I mostly work in London now, hence being in a position to get the rabbits. I have been offered (and accepted) an amazing job, which will give me 2 weeks off after the one I'm doing now and then see me in work right through until the end of April - which as a freelancer in these uncertain times is just brilliant. The only part of it which requires some thought is that after it runs in London, the show will do 2 weeks in Newcastle and 5 weeks in Liverpool in March & April. I need to find some digs in both cities that will let me have the rabbits (another thread on here perhaps...), but before I do that I need some help working out Mac & Albie's touring set up...

This is their set up at home:

P1020838.jpg

The wooden run folds flat, and the Runaround pipes and tunnels are easy to take, but their hutch is going nowhere! So I need to come up with a solution of something new that can easily fit in a car, can preferably be moved by just me, and even better have a use at home, or be able to be stored away flat...

Options as I see it so far are:

1. Find someone who can make me a hutch that bolts together, has pin hinges on the roof etc so that it can come apart flat. [ETA - can anyone recommend a good carpenter?]

2. Buy a cheap, small hutch that would be easy to move, and extend the run with extra run around bits to make up for lack of hutch space.

3. A Runaround Den - what do people think about these? I'm not sure about them...

4. Give up with the idea of them being outside, and try to find someone who'll rent me their spare room and let me have the buns in it with me...

I'm going home for a few days at Christmas, so trial run will be then, although inside isn't an option then of course. I reckon I can stretch to £200 at absolute most, but if I'm spending that much I'd want it to be long lasting, so that next time we have to go away everything'll be ready (ie maybe option 2 isn't a good one).

Sorry for the very long and rambling thread, but any thoughts or better ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Sarah.x

Last edited:
TBH I really don't like the Runaround Dens. I think the pipes as you have them set up now are fine but I don't like the den at all.

If you bring them inside you would need to keep them in, as the constant changes in temperature will mean they can't grow/shed the right coat and would be all wrong. So to me it's option 1 or 2 :) option 1 is best but as long as the run is permanently attached I don't think a smaller hutch is the worst thing ever, although others may disagree :wave:

Hows about a cheap small hutch, more of a hidaway that they don't get shut into, and 2 dog crates and cable ties, lots of cable ties. Where ever you go, you take the hutch and use the dog crate pannels (destroy the dog crates into just pannels) to construct a run to whatever size and shape garden you get. Dog crate pannels fold flat, and very strong and with cable ties are very easy to build into a run.

You might need a bit of mesh wire with you too, because the hutch might be shorter than the dog crates, unless you put the hutch inside the home made run.

Hi all,

Thanks for your thoughts.

I briefly considered boarding Janice, and whilst I know the 3 journeys won't be masses of fun for them, I'm away for 7 weeks and apart from the first Monday in each town I'll only be working 5pm til 10:30pm so I've got loads of time to spend with them. And I'd miss them so much if I left them somewhere for that long.

Perhaps taking them with me is selfish though?

I would go for a big fold up run and a small enclosed hutch for sleeping/shelter - you may need to adjust the position of the divider in the hutch to make a big enough bed area. The run you have has a nice sheltered area, add something under that for them to sit on off the floor (a sheet of wood with a baton under to lift in 1" off the ground) and they are as sheltered as they would be in the living space of the hutch.

Tbh though, the two week trip may be better as boarding as they won't have much time to settle and that's a longish trip, by the time April/match comes around the temperature difference will be much less and you can probably get away with having them inside if you want.

Back