• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How can you tell if a bun is over weight or simply gain some weight?

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
Obviously, if my bun gained some weight, it doesn't make that she is over weight. So when do you consider a rabbit is over weight?

A friend of mine, who has a dog, told me that if I can feel the rib cage, then she's not over weight. And I can feel the bones of her rib cage no problem

The only bun that I've seen who's over weight is a bun at SPCA, whose stomach is sticking out. Like he's drinking too much beer:lol:

I read a good article called 'body scoring your rabbit' in a back issue of Rabbiting On , the RWA magazine. This was especially useful to me as my bunny is a crossbreed so his actual weight doesn't mean much to me. The ariticle said that the ribs should feel like a packet of pens, which is exactly how Spenser's feel.

What a fab description.

My buns are totally different and Lucky's skin & coat seems more malleable than Daisy's but i see what you mean on each.

I was watching Jay Leno show segment tonight, Jay has a guest who brings animals in, and the 2nd animal is a baby tiger. And Jay said "this tiger is packed with muscle".

And this got me thinking: how can you tell the body of your bun is fat or muscle?

Is it as long as it's packed then it's muscle and if it's loose then it's fat?

Back