• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Did I do the right thing?

chul

Staff member
I went to a 'rescue' near me yesterday to see if they had any neutered females as a friend for Pepy once he is snipped. Got there to find it was one lady with a shed of rabbits. They all seemed okay, but I wan't very impressed that none were neutered. She says people hand them to her and the RSPCA give her some too.

I am ashamed to admit it but I brought a little girly home. She isnt spayed and as Pepy isn't done she is being kept in the spare room. I just didn't have the heart to leave her there. My fiance stupidly offered the lady £30 as a donation, she was very pleased (as she would be if they arent neutered etc). We have no idea if she has any jabs yet, but the lady says shes about 6 months old. I'm really worried as we took her word for it that she was even female. Stupid I know.

I feel so bad for taking her, but I couldn't leave her. Did I do the right thing? Pepy is going to be booked in this week for his neuter and then hopefully after the right amount of time, we can bond them.

I feel awful.

Last edited:
I know these people shouldn't be encouraged to keep going but you have reported her, so you've done your best IMO.

Your OH needs a telling off though for giving her money...

And, I think you'd probably need a heart of STONE to walk away from a situation like that without a bun.

Try not to beat yourself up about this too much and focus on giving your new baby the life she deserves.

:love:

Pop her to your vet to check shes ok.See shes not pregnant already.Hope shes a girl.Can you report this woman??Nightmare situation.Hope the buns will be ok and loved and fed and clean if not vacced and neutered....

She did love them you could tell, some had pellets but some have meusli. She didnt home check etc, just let us walk off with her.

Surely if the RSPCA bring her bunnies they must think she's okay?

I'm just so worried what will happen if Pepy wont bond with her etc.

I think if she was linked to the RSPCA she would have homechecks and neutered/vacced buns.Sorry Just my opinion, but you did well to get one of them to sort out.If shes a girl, theres a good chance to bond.Fingers crossed for you.Im keen to know more.xxx

I know these people shouldn't be encouraged to keep going but you have reported her, so you've done your best IMO.

And, I think you'd probably need a heart of STONE to walk away from a situation like that without a bun.

Try not to beat yourself up about this too much and focus on giving your new baby the life she deserves.

Totally agree here. xx

Totally agree here. xx

Thanks, I'm a sucker for bunnies.

They were kept in a freezing shed and I have brought her into the house. Does anyone know how I climatise her to warmth? I left the heating off in her room last night.

Don't think she said she had reported the 'lady' but that the RSPCA take rabbits to her.

Don't think she said she had reported the 'lady' but that the RSPCA take rabbits to her.

Sorry, I missed that. No I haven't reported her. I don't think I have enough ground to report her for not neutering/home checking. The buns were in hutches that were big enough, had hay and food. She clearly loved them, but she just didn't give off the true 'rescue' vibe I expected. :(

I think some people try to do their little bit by rescuing rabbits and finding them new homes but don't have the finances to neuter and vaccinate. I respect that they are trying to help a desparate situation with regards to abandoned and neglected rabbits.

I have just done exactly what you did :roll:

I saw a rabbit on Rabbit Rehome that was taken in by a rabbit breeder. She had the rabbit vet checked and advertised locally to try and find the owner in case she had escaped (she was found by a member of the public by a railway line). However, she wouldn't be able to take in any rabbits if she had to have them neutered and vaccinated but she did check that I was prepared to do both when I enquired about the rabbit. On the adoption form I have signed to the effect that I will do both and was also given an assurance that if the bond didn't work out I could return her.

I took my little lad with me to see if 'first impressions' were favourable and over the course of this weekend I have bonded them together.

I would definitely take your new rabbit for a vet check and fingers crossed all will be well for a future bond.

Thanks everyone. She is called Mabel, and will be off the the vets for the first of her injections asap so will get her checked over too. Im just praying shes okay and will bond when the time comes.

Thanks everyone. She is called Mabel, and will be off the the vets for the first of her injections asap so will get her checked over too. Im just praying shes okay and will bond when the time comes.

:shock: We neeeeeed pics! :shock:

:lol:

Good luck at the vets! :wave:

Back