• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bonding problem - really need your help

Candiflare

Mama Doe
I posted this in behaviour and bonding a while ago and didn't get any responses...

My five were bonded by Chloe at Fat Fluffs and they all get on very well and are happy except for Ruby and Rosie. During the bond, Rosie was the one causing all the problems and the fights, but now post-bond in their living quarters, Ruby terrorizes Rosie. Rosie doesn't seem to be able to be relaxed in her home and is constantly hiding behind the other rabbits (who also try to protect her - which is quite sweet) and dashing from one section to another.

I thought it was just chasing until I saw a range of bloody bite marks up Rosie's ear and a trail of blood on the newspaper. I immediately separated them and put Ruby in the bottom part of the hutch by herself for 24 hours, so she was still in contact with the other buns through the wire but couldn't bite Rosie.

I tried to rebond them in a smaller space at the weekend and it seemed like it worked but I went up to put them to bed last night and Rosie had a small chunk taken out of the corner of her eye :( obviously by Ruby. I separated Ruby again and now she is alone again.

She looks so miserable by herself, but Rosie is so terrorized when she's there. I know it's a two way street with rabbits - if one acts all neurotic and flighty, another will chase it and it will be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Any suggestions about what I should do? Apart from this squabble they're all happily bonded.

I have a bonded group of 6. Mine do squabble sometimes particularly if there have been any changes. There does seem to be one of mine that ends up the victim if there is any arguing and always the same aggressor (but not to the extent of drawing blood just a chunk of fur usually). When you rebonded did you increase the space really slowly again or go from small space back to normal? Did you disinfect out all their accomodation so it was back to neutral? Those are the only things I can think of. Sorry probably not much help. If not maybe give fat fluffs a ring, they have so much bonding experience I'm sure they would be able to guide you.

Thank you.

I did slowly make their space bigger although maybe I did it too quickly. I think a problem like this where Ruby blatantly doesn't like Rosie, will crop up when they are in a small space or a large space. I have tried taking them on a car ride together, have put them together in a small space etc but they just continue that dynamic.

Ruby doesn't like the other female bun either but doesn't seem to bully her as much.

It took me 2 weeks to totally bond my 6 from start to finish. Did you try to rebond just Rosie and Ruby or all 5?

I put her back in with the others for their dinner and she attacked all of them this time.

I don't know what to do - I hate putting her on her own, but if she's going to put the other bunnies at risk then I have to.

It sounds as though your options are to start a bond all over again on neutral territory just like the first time or accept that she is not to be part of the group and find her a friend of her own! Not easy. I hope someone can come with a better solution. :?

Thank you for replying. I would find it much easier to understand if they split into a 2 and a 3 or something, but it's just Ruby that is causing problems. They all like her and lick her but she just attacks them :(

It sounds as though your options are to start a bond all over again on neutral territory just like the first time or accept that she is not to be part of the group and find her a friend of her own! Not easy. I hope someone can come with a better solution. :?

I would agree with this. Like people some buns just dont get on.

My original group of 4 was Albert Bella Chloe and Dutchie but Albert never completely settled in and the girls always bullied him a bit. Albert had to come and live inside when he got sore feet and I adopted Evie to live with him. They have ben loved up ever since :D

Fudge came to live with us in the hope that he fitted in with the group. He and Chloe fell in love and Bella is good with him too - I think its just a personality thing

Sorry it's not working! :(

Maybe it'd be best to have a two and a three. I'd put Ruby and Ralph back together. You know they get on, so rebonding would be easy. :)

Sorry it's not working! :(

Maybe it'd be best to have a two and a three. I'd put Ruby and Ralph back together. You know they get on, so rebonding would be easy. :)

I would do that but Ralph is very bonded to Buzz and Rosie, more so than he was with Ruby, so I wouldn't want to ruin those relationships.

She might just have to be a one, and then somewhere down the line I take her speed dating at a rescue..

I would do that but Ralph is very bonded to Buzz and Rosie, more so than he was with Ruby, so I wouldn't want to ruin those relationships.

She might just have to be a one, and then somewhere down the line I take her speed dating at a rescue..

Poor Roobs!! Can she be a housebun whilst she's single?

I know, poor Roobs! She is so elusive! She deliberately takes herself off and doesn't interact with the other buns. She tolerated them through the bonding process and now she just seems to be getting fed up!

She is more wild than the rest and not affectionate or soppy, so maybe she needs to be bonded with a wild bun?

Ruby's now gone into stasis due to being separated from the other buns :(

I've got her here with me at work syringe feeding her :(

Just saw this Kate! oh poor Roobs you must be beside yourself! it's so tricky isn't it??

So you have five buns? does Roobs get on with any of them?

Just saw this Kate! oh poor Roobs you must be beside yourself! it's so tricky isn't it??

So you have five buns? does Roobs get on with any of them?

I've got five buns... she gets on fine with the boys but they boys are very bonded to the other girls as well. Even with the boys she's rather elusive and doesn't groom them and sit with them like the rest do.

It's really tricky, because I feel like she is unbondable...

Back