• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I brought them and now it's too cold!

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
I brought them in bonfire night with my bedroom window open and they went out at about midnight. But last night I left them in as they looked so comfy and they've been in all day. Grim doesn't seem 'right' either. A bit jumpy and sleepy. And it's absolutely bitter out there now so I can't let them out. Plus I was too lazy to clean the hutch. They're going to be in all winter aren't they? :roll:

This is how our first bunny and piggy became house pets. Came in at bonfire, never went outside again :lol::lol::lol:(not to sleep anyway, obviously they went in the garden). Now we have Ted and Rosie who've always been house bunnies, can't imagine ever having outside bunnies again!

You should still be able to put them back out. They won't have started moulting their winter coat over a couple of days. I'd clean their house out tomorrow, put their bedding in the airing cupboard or next to the radiator so it warms through a touch and put them out once the suns out. Pop them out during the day only for the next couple of days, gradually getting earlier putting them out and later getting them in. Then as long as it's not going to be below zero, and you heat some fresh straw and a snuggle safe or two, may be a couple of blankets warmed very slightly in the tumble dryer- they should be fine. I always do it gradually though and never just put them straight out into a cold shed on a cold night. Others prefer not to put them back out so late in the year. But I think that as long as it's not going to be freezing or wet, and you provide them with a little warmth to start with a gradual re-introduction doesn't do them harm. Of course if you have the space and they're happy you can always leave them in. Mine prefer to be outside that's why they're outdoor buns-and they have been itching to get back outside every morning since friday night :)

I just put mine back out this morning. The heating has been off and windows open so its freezing in here anyway! They have plenty of hay and places to snuggle and keep warm so i'm not worried about them :)

They decided to back out themselves. :roll:
So I ended up cleaning the hutch at midnight but it serves me right for being lazy. I'll cover them up with the fleece and a snuggle safe but my bedroom was freezing and my back yard is very sheltered so they should be fine.

They love their hutch and garden.

Silly bunnies. :love:

Bless them! Spenser loves his hutch too, although I'm getting concerned already about the winter. I really need to get a proper hutch hugger.

Back