• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Quick replies please if possible...

abi2047

Mama Doe
A couple of weeks ago my friend said that she wasn't aloud to let her rabbit in the garden as he can get through a hole in the fence, I told her that it isn't fair to keep him locked in his hutch (it is even smaller than mine!) and she said well tough because next door is getting annoyed with him being in their garden.
Well...she has now told me on MSN that her rabbit keeps spraying everywhere and on everyone and everything and that her mum has said he isn't aloud out the hutch. I have told her to buy a run and she said he has got one, it is a hutch and run combo. When she said about the spraying I told her to get him neutured and it will stop him spraying, she said there is no point because he hasn't got a friend, I told her it will maybe make him calmer and friendlier and she said no he is already friendy. Is there any other reasons to tell her to get him neutured and to buy a run? I don't want to sound horrible to her but I want the best for the rabbbit. Would the RSPCA do anything?

RSPCA probably wouldnt do anything.

Neutering him should stop the praying and probably make him a cuddlier bun

Well if the spraying is stopping him from being allowed out of the hutch then its just cruel not to get him neutered, IMO, because that is limiting his space and time out. :roll:

Castration can reduce testicular cancer, he will be a frustrated bunny staying entire :( Its a difficult situation for you to be in, poor bunny :( I hope someone else can be more help

He can't live in a hutch all his live, that is a poor quality of life and he will get muscle problems as he wont be stretching and running about like rabbits should. He obviously wont be happy - He needs to be neutered because of the spraying, they either have to put him out in a decent sized run and accept he is going to spray or get him neutered, preferably the second option!

It must be difficult when its a friend, I apriciate you are in a difficult position but I would try your best to persuade them. Do they still want the rabbit?

He can't live in a hutch all his live, that is a poor quality of life and he will get muscle problems as he wont be stretching and running about like rabbits should. He obviously wont be happy - He needs to be neutered because of the spraying, they either have to put him out in a decent sized run and accept he is going to spray or get him neutered, preferably the second option!

It must be difficult when its a friend, I apriciate you are in a difficult position but I would try your best to persuade them. Do they still want the rabbit?

This is a very good and important point - long term it could lead to deformaties

If he gets bored in his hutch he could get aggressive

She has gone offline now, I will ask her tomorrow if she still wants the rabbit. I could probably keep him for a while but I don't think I will be able to keep him forever. :?

RSPCA probably wouldnt do anything.

Neutering him should stop the praying and probably make him a cuddlier bun

I told her this and she said that he is friendly enough. I don't want to be horrible to her and start an argument as she is like my only friend :(

I don't think the RSPCA would do anything, but I don't mind advising her as their 'rabbit lady'. Could you invite her to join the forum? Do you think one of those packs I sent you would be useful for her?

She has gone offline now but I will talk to her tomorrow about it and see if she would rehome the poor bun, if she does then I would be happy to take him for a while until someone else can take him. I really feel for the poor mite. I asked her why she has got a rabbit if she can't afford to neuture him and she said because he has all the essentials, food, water, clean hutch and thats all he needs. She is making me really angry. If I carry on telling her all this stuff then she won't want to be my friend but if it makes the rabbit happy and healthy then I will have to lose her as a friend :cry:

I don't think the RSPCA would do anything, but I don't mind advising her as their 'rabbit lady'. Could you invite her to join the forum? Do you think one of those packs I sent you would be useful for her?

I think it is more of her sister's rabbit than hers. I don't think she would want to join the forum as everyone would tell her what to do and I think she will kind of get angry :( I will photocopy some of the information and give it to her tomorrow but I don't want her to feel that I am being a little-miss-know-it-all.
I really don't know what to do :(

She has gone offline now but I will talk to her tomorrow about it and see if she would rehome the poor bun, if she does then I would be happy to take him for a while until someone else can take him. I really feel for the poor mite. I asked her why she has got a rabbit if she can't afford to neuture him and she said because he has all the essentials, food, water, clean hutch and thats all he needs. She is making me really angry. If I carry on telling her all this stuff then she won't want to be my friend but if it makes the rabbit happy and healthy then I will have to lose her as a friend :cry:

Be very careful with taking a rabbit you can't keep unless you know it has somewhere else to go at some point, because you might end up with him indefinitely.

If you want, I can send you another adoption pack, and you can blame it on me. 'Oh, this lady who volunteers for the RSPCA sent me this pack :roll: She annoyed me but some of the info was good. Here you go, you can have a read and just put it in her hand.' Or something.

Unfortunately though, some people can't be told, and it may be because she doesn't want to hear, her bunny will unfortunately suffer.

Be very careful with taking a rabbit you can't keep unless you know it has somewhere else to go at some point, because you might end up with him indefinitely.

If you want, I can send you another adoption pack, and you can blame it on me. 'Oh, this lady who volunteers for the RSPCA sent me this pack :roll: She annoyed me but some of the info was good. Here you go, you can have a read and just put it in her hand.' Or something.

Unfortunately though, some people can't be told, and it may be because she doesn't want to hear, her bunny will unfortunately suffer.

Ohh, could you send me the adoption pack please? Tah x

Yeh, I'll send it tomorrow. It will be the same as yours. I have another one to send out tomorrow too so that's no problem.

Back