• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I need all your info on trios please!!

Okay so I would love to adopt another bunny but the only way I would be able to do it would be a trio..sooooo...could I have some infomation about bonding etc..

1. Is it easy to bond three or quite alot harder then bonding two?

2. Is there a chance that my excisting pair will split up and then not rebond?

3. What in your experiance works out better...female/female/male or male/male/female (or does it completly depend on personality?)

4. What is the minimum space for 3?

5. Do rescues rehome a single bunny to be part of a group?

ummm I think thats it for now

Thanks xx:D:wave:

6. Will one bun always appear to be left out of snuggles/grooming?

7. Does it take a lot longer for the bond to settle than in a pair?

(Sorry to hijack but in a very similar position:oops:)

Good luck with the new bun:love: Anybun in mind?

1. Is it easy to bond three or quite alot harder then bonding two? Like with everything else rabbit related, it depends on the personalities of the bunnies involved. I had one trio who took a couple of months (using the date method for a variety of reasons, all relating to the bunnies), but then just recently I did bonded a trio who just merged in nicely and so easily with no problems at all.

2. Is there a chance that my excisting pair will split up and then not rebond? Yes, that is a risk. It happens infrequently, but there is still the possibility. You may end up with three singles, or you may end up with a pair and a singl,e but the single being different from the single you brought in- i.e. one of the original pair

3. What in your experiance works out better...female/female/male or male/male/female (or does it completly depend on personality?) Totally depends on personality. I have a MMF trio, a FFM trio, and a FM/hermaphrodite trio. Previousl I've had two other FFM trios

4. What is the minimum space for 3? That will depend on the breed and size

5. Do rescues rehome a single bunny to be part of a group? That will depend on the rescue. Some will, some may not, you would have to ask any rescue you were interested in adopting from

6. Will one bun always appear to be left out of snuggles/grooming? No. You need to find bunnies that work as a group. They will all have their different dynamics, but none of my trios have ever had any bunny left out other than a bunny that chooses to remove themself from a situation. I can go into mor detail if you like.

7. Does it take a lot longer for the bond to settle than in a pair? Totally depends on the bunnies, really.

I'm not going to be able to help with all of these...

1. Is it easy to bond three or quite alot harder then bonding two?
Never bonded two but my three went together incredibly easily.

2. Is there a chance that my excisting pair will split up and then not rebond?
I've heard that this can happen but that it's rare.

3. What in your experiance works out better...female/female/male or male/male/female (or does it completly depend on personality?)
After my very extensive reading (but not experience) I've come to the conclusion it depends entirely on personality.

4. What is the minimum space for 3?
My three (one large, two smallish) have an 8x6 shed with an 8x8 run. It depends on the size of your rabbits and how much time they'd get out of their housing.

5. Do rescues rehome a single bunny to be part of a group?
my local rspca wouldn't home a single to be bonded with my pair. They insisted that it would end up with broken bonds or one rabbit being bullied/left out.

I find my three work so well in this respect. Lola always wanted more attention than rambo wanted to give.
Now they're a trio they all have someone to go to when they want attention. I find they usually snuggle in pairs and the third is off roaming but I have found them all snuggled together many times. It's rare that two will be snuggled up and the third will be lying down somewhere else, and you can't guess who will be with who so it's not like they play favourites.

I have no idea about that one.

The thought of Sally and Feegal falling forever out is very:cry:

Sky-o as always would love more detail:)

I posted this in early September

I've had three trios and I have another one on the way.

Trio one
Summer-f, Roger-m, Tilly-f
Which mix of sexes you have mff
How they were formed, i.e. the age of the buns, did you start with two and add an extra one, if so, were they a male female pair, two males, two females, related or not and their ages? Summer was very old but a rescue so we don't know how old, Roger was a wildie. They bonded first, but were only bonded for maybe 2 weeks when I addedd Tilly who was probably a middle aged girlie, but quite ill with head tilt. All were very freshly fixed when they went together
Any problems/falling outs etc. Nope, none at all. They were a dream.
Personality of the buns involved. Summer was very enthusiastic and loved anything and everything. Roger was a typical wildie, lots of hiding, nervous, but used the girls to get his confidence to grow. Tilly was quiet and very sweet, but had such strong will power inside her.

What happened with that trio was that Summer and Tilly became very firm friends. Roger ended up with a hareem but because by nature he used to hide a lot, the girls had each other.

Trio 2
The Dopeys- both f and Cloud-m
Which mix of sexes you have ffm
How they were formed, i.e. the age of the buns, did you start with two and add an extra one, if so, were they a male female pair, two males, two females, related or not and their ages? The Dopeys are two sister and were completely inseparable. To all intents and purposes they are one and the same doing all the same things at all the same times and we can't easily tell them apart- hence the joint name. I first bonded them with Cloud when they were all just over 1. Cloud was recently neutered- 8 weeks prior- but they were unspayed. They had no problems at all but then I added a fourth a year later and after 6 weeks the new addition turned on the weakest Dopey so they had to be split into two pairs. The new girl eventually divorced Cloud and so I then rebonded Cloud back with the Dopeys who had at this point been spayed, and it was the easiest bond ever, they had clearly missed each other. They were a dream too.
Any problems/falling outs etc. Not anything, even when Cloud got vicious with his illness or the Dopeys got horny and humpy with everything.
Personality of the buns involved. Cloud was a vicious little turd and the Dopeys are very sweet, vocal, stupid, inseparable rabbits.

This trio was more like a pair because the Dopeys are like just one rabbit.

The Dopeys are currently being bonded with Lightning and the dynamics are very similar, its like a pair more than a trio.

Trio 3
Dawn-m, Hope-m, Sunny-f (all siblings)
Which mix of sexes you have mmf
How they were formed, i.e. the age of the buns, did you start with two and add an extra one, if so, were they a male female pair, two males, two females, related or not and their ages? I started bonding when they were about 7 months old. Previously they had divorced when hormones hit- obviously not Sunny, she was separated before that. I waited until after the boys had recovered from their neuters and then started. I did a long bond because thats what they needed. After a month of long playdates I moved the two boys in together. Sunny couldn't join them because she was unspayed and a flirt and she made them scrap. They lived side by side until she was spayed and still had playdates together. When she was spayed they moved in together as soon as I could make it happen, which was about 2 weeks after her spay.
Any problems/falling outs etc. Nope, none at all.
Personality of the buns involved. Sunny is the smart one, and very feisty and knows her mind. Dawn is very nice and licky but seems to have a second self where every so often he just goes nippy and chases for no apparent reason, Hope is like the odd bunny out. Right from being 2 weeks old, whatever everyone else was doing Hope was doing something different. He is almost a 'special needs' bunny. He lacks social bunny skills

This trio is the one of most surprise to me because all bunnies have strong personalities, but, for whatever reason, it works. They are all very different and benefit from other rabbits at different times. Collectively they are known as 'the Swarming'.

I now have two more trios.

Trio 4
Dopey 1-f, Dopeys 2-f, Lightning-m
Which mix of sexes you have ffm
How they were formed, i.e. the age of the buns, did you start with two and add an extra one, if so, were they a male female pair, two males, two females, related or not and their ages? The Dopeys were alone after Cloud died and I didn't want them to just be a pair, so once Lightning was neutered and calmed down, and bonding a group of six failed, I bonded Lightning with the Dopeys. The Dopeys are now 4 and Lightning is 3.
Personality of the buns involved. This is still very much the Dopeys being a collective entity, and Lightning being himself, so mostly its like a pair, although one Dopey does seem to prefer Lightning. They are like a group of friends.

Trio 5
Wish-f, Mooshy Face-Hermaphrodite, Autumn-M
Which mix of sexes you have fm and a hermaprodite
How they were formed, i.e. the age of the buns, did you start with two and add an extra one, if so, were they a male female pair, two males, two females, related or not and their ages? I bonded Wish and Autumn, and then about two weeks later, when Mooshy Face was six weeks past his neuter I bonded him in. It was so easy. Wish and Mooshy face are 6 months old, Autumn is just over a year.
Personality of the buns involved. Wish is full of feistiness, Autumn lacks bunny skills (but is learning a lot with Wish and Mooshy Face), and Mooshy Face is just a thoroughly nice bunny. As a group they are a group and no one is left out. They often sleep as a pile, and various different rabbits will be alone and together, at various different times.

(Sorry to hijack but in a very similar position:oops:)

Good luck with the new bun:love: Anybun in mind?

No don't worry they're great questions! :D

weeeeeell I've been thinking about trios for a while but I met a little bun yesturday who was just :love:

Sky-o Thanks for all the info its brilliant! :D
Re. Space - At the moment I have a dutch and a dwarf lop. If a adopted another he/she would probally be no bigger than Bart (dwarf lop) :)

I am very worried that if I id it Heather and Bart would fall out and then not rebond :(:?

Back