• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you deal with a biter?

mrbunnylove

Warren Scout
My 6 month old male lop has always been a bit 'what appears to be dominant'! He's been neutered, which I was hoping would calm him down & got him wee lulu as a pal for company. He has a big hutch with attached run so plenty space.

He's always been a bit of a dominant character where he runs at your hand, tail up & teeth ready to bite! Sometimes I think he's getting better but recently he's been worse again! He bit me really badly when I went to shut them in for the night & the wound on my hand is really bad! I puck him up regardless even if it means putting a towel over him to get hold of him as I want him to know I will still want to handle him regardless of his behaviour!

I can accept that all rabbits donr like being picked up so I'd leave him be @ just stroke him from the hutch, trouble is he's running at me to bite me!!

I put them both out in garden run this morning & gave them some veg then once cleaned hutch out went to get them for a cuddle! Again he's running at me, tail up, seems an angry wee bunny but I managed to pick him up!

I've also separated him from lulu as he's constantly trying to hump her even though he's been done & went to was getting giddy trying to go for me this morning he had a nip at her too :( she is the cutesy wee friendliest thing ever!! She's been well handled since birth though so very sociable!

Didnt want her getting hurt though so have moved into hutch in the hut!!

Don't know if I should leave them separated & go back for one of her sisters as only 6 weeks so the 2 girls can be a pair & leave mr grumpy on his own (advice welcome)

Also what do I do regards his behaviour? Do I just keep handling him to get him used to it or how do u deal with a bunny that runs at you trying to bite your hand :( x

Someone provided me with a leaflet called 'biting the hand that feeds you', I think you can read it on line so maybe google it

It has some advice on this issue

My boy rabbit Piggy will hump the girls in the spring and wees on them, and he was nutered years ago. It doesnt bother them too much, they either ignore him or sometimes they run away - I think its good for buns to have bunny company so if he isnt hurting her and they are bonded then keep them together

To be honest, if he doesnt like being picked up then you should respect that. You will need to pick him up to check him over of course, but maybe you can do this by encouraging him into a carrier, and sitting down before you physically pick him up to check him. Dont pick him up just for the sake of a cuddle if he doesnt enjoy them. Perhaps once he realises you are not going to grab him when you go near him, he will appreciate some nose rubs instead

I know my misery rabbit Peaches doesnt like to be picked up and cuddled, and she used to growl and bite a bit, but now we have an understanding she is learning to trust me and will come over for a nose stroke :love:

Thanks for your reply :) trouble is I need to catch him to shut him in at night.....unless I leave them 24 hr access to run aswell but worried about the cold..

Hence why I'm at a loss as to how to get him in at night without getting bitten :(

How long ago was he 'done'?

Am I right in reading his friend is only 6 weeks old?

You can tackle biting, but part of it is about you working with his behaviour, and the other part is you deterring his behaviour.

What are the triggers for it? Like what happens immediately before?

Hi, yes is friend is 6.5 weeks.

Immediatley before - I go out the back garden & talk softy when approaching the hutch so they know I'm coming, I get their food out hut & top up food bowl. Wee girl just runs up ramp & comes in herself however he doesn't so I get down on my knees, talking to him gently the whole time & the minute I put my hand down on ground for him to sniff & that's when he 'charges' at me & bites me :(

After, I continue talking gently & try again or if I can tell he's really angry I chuck a towel over him which enables me to pick him up! Once he's up, I'm sure he actually quite enjoys a cuddle it's just the catching him first!

Thanks x

I'm unsure if you know, but his friend is FAR too young to be away from mum. They should stay with mum until at least 8 weeks old. I would suggest waiting until she is spayed and recovered to bond her with him.

Does your hand smell of food? How is his eye sight?

How do you feel when approaching him? Are you nervous? anticipating he might bite?

Hi, thanks for the info..I didn't know she was too young to be away from
Mum :( the whole litter had been split up from the mum & were in a double hutch with run together. It was a girl down the street giving them away.

To be honest I'm probably a bit nervous & expecting him to bite me so maybe he picks up on that? x

Could you maybe go and tell the girl not to rehome the rabbits until they are at least 8 weeks old? even if they are not with mum, they still need to not be rehomed.

Yes, that's very possible. If he is biting due to anxiety then you feeling anxious is more likely to make him react badly. You need to be totally calm when approaching him.

Another option would be to break the habit totally and put his food in the carry case and when he goes in for it, lift the carry case and move him to his hutch using the carry case.

How long ago was he neutered?

Yes I will definitely say to the girl as still have her number.

He was neutered about 2.5/3 weeks ago :)

Thanks, yeh I will definately try food in the carried that sounds a good idea :)

Thanks for your help x

Back