• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Water

Snowy1997

Young Bun
My 5 month old female rabbit was neutered 10 - 12 days ago.

She is fine.

She is eating, but i am worried about the fact that she is not really drinking much each day.

I have tried it in a bowl and i have tried the normal drink bottle that you attach to the hutch and I am changing the water each day to make sure that she has clean drinking water.

How can i make her drink more?

Why isnt she drinking very much?

Sometimes its not even noticable what she has drunken each day.

ebony has recently started drinking water regularly she's 18 months but as her diet is mainly hay and veg she was getting her fluid from that she only started drinking it after staying at a boarders i think she copied another rabbit:D

She is probably getting the majority of her fluids fromt he grass and vegs by the sounds of it, she is probably having a sneaky drink when you are not around.
You can check that she is not in desperate dehydration by tenting the skin, like in humans it should spring back if there she is not dehydrated.

Yeah she does but, apart from that she doesnt really drink any of the water from her water bottle .

I wouldn't worry about it if her main food is grass. She'll get quite enough fluids from that unless it's very hot. (Wild rabbits don't drink water)

Skin tenting is a very late sign of severe dehydration. If she wees in a tray, I find that the best way to assess hydration, + starting to get very chalky wee with no changes in diet.

Many buns drink better from a bowl than a bottle if there's space for it.

Back