• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny ultimatum - Bond or rehome

Lillian

Warren Veteran
My parents are downsizing to a smaller house and we can't take all the sheds, so I've been given an ultimatum.. I either bond pairs into groups or rehome most of the rabbits. I have no experience with bonding groups and don't have very long to get it done. I'm terrified of bonding groups totally alone - what if a massive fight breaks out? :shock: I don't think I can handle it :? But can't give them away either..

Does anyone have any advice on how to bond groups? What size space should I should? What fights do I break up?

How many are you trying to bond and are they all neutered ?

Yes, all neutered. I NEED to bond at least 6 together.. I have them as 3 pairs of one male and one female.
I assume i'd have to bond a 4, then add another pair after the 4 has settled?

Gosh, it sounds hard..... do you have any neutral ground? Thats really important for easing bonds.....

If I need to watch them over night (which I will) I'll have to kick indoor buns out my bedroom and bring them in there.. Otherwise there's nowhere I can do it :?

gosh. big challenge. my fingers are crossed for you.

is there anyone with a bit of bunny experience who could sit in with you over the bonding period? its a big ask but there are some really generous people on RU.

gosh. big challenge. my fingers are crossed for you.

is there anyone with a bit of bunny experience who could sit in with you over the bonding period? its a big ask but there are some really generous people on RU.

Sadly not.

Sadly i'm no where near-otherwise i'd have helped like a shot. I'd bond all 6 at once and start by setting up your neutral space-new bowls, bottles etc. Make sure you have plenty of drinks and snacks for yourself-and the hay bag and treat tub for the buns. Have a broom, large piece of cardboard and a pair of gardening gloves. Also a bamboo cane. Use there to separate any fights-the slightest negative behaviour to start warrants the cane being tapped on the floor. Start by taking them in their individual groups on a car ride. After half hour pop them all into an indoor cage. Drive for an hour or so. When home take the whole cage in with them inside. Open this into what is their bonding area making sure everybun plops out at once. Add hay, bottles etc. Watch them constantly-any negative behaviour-tails lifted, ears slightly lifted for a lop, or slightly back for an up ear bun, grunting, thumping you need to divert the attention and throw in some food, or tap the cage with the cane. If any fights do break out wedge the cardboard between them or use the gloves to pin them down by their shoulders until calmed. The broom can also be used to separate. After a day you need to step back on the negative behaviour and only intervene if they try to go for each other. Mounting, fur pulling is normal but needs to be interrupted if persistent. The key is to prevent and teach them the correct way to behave. They have to establish a pecking order. I would say you'll need at least a week before trying to move them. They need to be watched day and night and you'll need someone to sit in whilst you go to the loo. It only takes a second for them to start and in a group they can end up all fighting at once. After a few days you should be able to get some sleep but sleep next to them incase anything starts. Until then the day is the calmest time where you may be able to cat nap. Hope this helps a bit, sorry it's long :)

Most importantly to add, don't show anyone affection or attention as jealousy sparks fights. Stay calm as they pick up on stress and fighting feeds off stress. It's not impossible but you must prepare for it and all possible scenarios. It's stressful when it's your furry babies, but you need to remove emotion and not be scared. It's got to work for all your sakes-so plan it out, make the time and go for it. If they constantly fight move them to another area after another car ride and start again. Let us know the progress :)

If I don't get proper sleep i'll get into a hypomanic mood then won't be able to sit still :? Arrgggh this is so stressful.

Back