• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

eeek fox in my back garden!

beki

Mama Doe
the bunnies are in fer the night. I had just transferred ruby from the run to the house and came back for reggie. Just lifted him out of the run and was carrying him indoors, came round the corner ad there was a fox on my back door step eating the food i had just given the local stray cat! the back door was wide open! it is only 4.30 and i ha0e never ever seen a fox round here that early on in the day! getting worried now :(

on the other hand, it was quite nice to see a fox so close up it was quite small and brown rather than red, i wonder if it was a very young fox

The problem is that now the fox knows there is food available hes going to keep coming back. It ma only be 4:30 but its getting dark & its hunting time for foxes. For the sake of our buns your going to ave to stop putting food out.

The problem is that now the fox knows there is food available hes going to keep coming back. It ma only be 4:30 but its getting dark & its hunting time for foxes. For the sake of our buns your going to ave to stop putting food out.

^^^^^ that

foxes near me so i have to remember to shut the back door even when i go out to the bin. the buns are in the living room, but i'm sure the foxes know...

their are some hanging around outside where my mum works at night, dad has seent them every night when he picks her up at 10pm, i said i fear for anyone who has hutched buns outide near there, alothough i suspect they won't be far from us too, with having fields not far behind our house, and once reading in newspaper about this old woman that put food out for them, and i siad to my sister that worried me reading that as it wouold make them not scared of humans etc

I don't usually leave food out for the stray as he comes indoors to eat now but I was mopping the floor so fed him outside. I will be more careful now it is getting darker.

Can a fox get in through a cat flap do u think? I am going to have one fitted to my door but we are thinking of a magnetic one

I don't usually leave food out for the stray as he comes indoors to eat now but I was mopping the floor so fed him outside. I will be more careful now it is getting darker.

Can a fox get in through a cat flap do u think?
I am going to have one fitted to my door but we are thinking of a magnetic one

YES

......... and open windows and doors. That's how I lost one of my House Rabbits :cry:

Eek thanks Jane! I don't leave downstairs windows open but will make a careful choice about a cat flap. Sorry to hear about your bunny

Rule One of Fox avoidance strategies:

Never ever ever put any food out for anything. It sounds harsh but food for cats attracts foxes, fatty or even seed food for birds attracts rats, and rats attract foxes (you should see the fox pawprints on the compost heaps and rat runs on the allotments).

Put all food waste in sealed containers (wheely bins or other bins), and food for animals like rabbits and hens MUST go in sealed containers as well.

Rule One of Fox avoidance strategies:

Never ever ever put any food out for anything. It sounds harsh but food for cats attracts foxes, fatty or even seed food for birds attracts rats, and rats attract foxes (you should see the fox pawprints on the compost heaps and rat runs on the allotments).

Put all food waste in sealed containers (wheely bins or other bins), and food for animals like rabbits and hens MUST go in sealed containers as well.

we have rats coming in, that worries me now on if the paw prints in last yearrs snow belonged to local cats of a fox, will never know, but soo glad i have ea house bunny, and im strict in looking after him as he's always my top prioty, even whe i go to put rubbish out i shut patio door behind me if i don't want him to wonder out, if im not with him

Back