• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spenser is to get a hutch hugger

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
My Dad made a cover which served well enough until now, but I have now put my foot down and said my bunny either needs a proper hutch-hugger or a shed! :love:I had to throw out a load of perectly good straw/hay/cardboard/carpet mat today because rain had got in at the side of the hutch. :evil: Spenser found it all very stimulating and is now busy re-arranging his new straw annd hay to his liking. Just realised I forgot to look for a basin, which I am going to try in his bedroom as a litter tray. :roll:

Well, if you manage to get the shed and have the hutch inside it the hugger will still be useful in really cold weather ;)

You don't know my parents... They don't like change. Dad says a shed would be too hot in summer, but loads of people on here have them, don't they?

You don't know my parents... They don't like change. Dad says a shed would be too hot in summer, but loads of people on here have them, don't they?

You can replace the windows with mesh for ventilation. My aviary's as good as a ashed now, with 3 boarded in sides, the roof and shutters on the front :lol:

You can replace the windows with mesh for ventilation. My aviary's as good as a ashed now, with 3 boarded in sides, the roof and shutters on the front :lol:

I can just see their faces if I bought a shed and proceeded to take out the windows...

Still, a good point about the hutch huggers still being useful if I went on to buy a shed. I'm sure I will get a shed - could just take a while.

what about a small wooden wendy house, tell your dad you could make it look fancy in the garden in summer ;)

what about a small wooden wendy house, tell your dad you could make it look fancy in the garden in summer ;)

That would make him even less keen! If they would hurry up and get the summer house they have been talking about for ages Spenser could go in there. Virtually nothing grows in that corner of the garden so it may as well have a shed or summerhouse on it.

DSC01046.jpg

Show this to your folks. Here are the top advantages to having a shed that I can think of....

1. Nice and dry and warm for bunny in winter (you can put the hutch inside.
2. When it's raining you can go about your bunny chores in the dry.
3. You can store bunny stuff on top of the hutch in the shed.
4. Can be linked to a run through a hatch in the side so buns can have constant access to outdoors.
5. You can sit in it with your bunny!!

That looks like an excellent arrangement. :D Where did you get it? I would perhaps need something a bit larger to allow for Spenser's size (and the distant, unlikely but still possible prosepect of a bunny friend).

Well I did things all wrong!! First I had the 'run' part built as a large hutch. It's 8x4 and has a hutch type enclosure inside ....

DSC01047.jpg

.... it has a wooden, raised floor and has a solid back and raised up bedroom area and kept them nice and warm all last winter. Only thing that bothered me is that, while I can get in it and sit I have to crawl in and I'm not getting any younger and my back was getting sore!!

Enter the shed (6x4) which I think would be fine for 2 buns even it they are larger than mine, as long as there is a run attached because they spend most of the time in the run. So I put the shed on the end of their existing accomodation, let loose with my dad's jigsaw (eat your heart out Blackberry's mum!!) and cut them a hole straight through.

If I were to do it again, I would buy an avairy like Blackberrys as I have prob spent over double what a good sized avairy would have cost and I still have a run part that I have to crawl into!! :roll: However I have spent so much on the set up that I'm not changing it now. The rabbits dont care that I have to crawl into the run!!

I got the shed from a place in Belfast - It was about £230 I think.

I can just see their faces if I bought a shed and proceeded to take out the windows...

Still, a good point about the hutch huggers still being useful if I went on to buy a shed. I'm sure I will get a shed - could just take a while.

Have you got any children that come round. You could say to get a playhouse for them and move Spencer in ;):angel:

Back