• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Behaviour Change - Ill, Old, or the Weather?

huppie

Mama Doe
Hi all

My male bunny is about 7 (he was a foundling so we aren't sure), neutered and a dental bun. The last few days he has been behaving differently. Normally his pattern is: 'eat, clean, sleep, snuggle with bonded bun' continually throughout the day. The last few days he has been sleeping and sitting by himself all day. He hasn't been eating as much hay during the day but he is eating hay whenever it is put out fresh (2-3 times a day in 3-4 different places). He is also eating his veggies, cecals, and drinking normally. When his food comes he is as excited as normal and runs around like a mad thing.

He is a balcony bun so is covered from most weathers but it has been getting colder and it has been windier than usual. But he isn't sitting in his usual 'I'm hiding from the weather' spot.

Am I worrying needlessly about his behaviour? Should I look for something that could be wrong with him?

Thanks

Emma

I think that probably does indicate something is wrong. He sounds unhappy, and the most obvious reason is some sort of physical problem causins him discomfort in some way. I'd suggest a vet check. Have his tooth roots been checking? His joints for arthritis would also be something else to check.

Arthritis would make a lot of sense! His running patterns have also changed - he goes round and through obstacles rather than over them now. I hate to think he might be unhappy! Will take him to the vets Monday and get his joints checked, the poor poppet.

Thank you for replying!

Emma

Back