• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my bunny nips

crystalh

New Kit
Hi there I have a bunny hes still a baby but lately when I am holding him he will try and nip me. and also struggle to get away why does he do this? and what should I do?

How old is he? Bunnies can start to go through puberty from about 12 weeks. If he's all hormonal then that could be a reason for the nippyness.

Also, some buns just don't like to be picked up, and so might struggle. I'd suggest sitting on the floor with him and stroking him when his feet are firmly on the ground.

he is only about 9 weeks old. he kinda sniffs and nibbles my skin or clothes. he will usually sit nice if I have him on his back or nussled into my body but if I loosten him up a bit while holding him thats when he struggles. but its the nips or nibbles that I am most concerned about.

What do you do when he nips? What happens just efore he nips?

It sounds like he is telling you that he is had enough in the instance you are descriing, so you need to listen to him. Nipping is part of bunny language and obviously it needs to be discouraged (not through punishment, but through your understanding of the situation), but also it does need to be heard.

Back