• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

cheapest, tastiest hay?

LauryStevens

Mama Doe
where can I buy hay thats extremely tastey, generally cheaper, and will be loved by our buns? I'm strugling to feed Thumper hay, he eats dried grass all day long, just he isn't a fan of hay. He doesn't like PAH Timothy hay, Pettex hay, Oat hay or meadow hay. He does kind of enjoy Burgess dandilion mix hay and Oxbow Timothy hay. He loves Readigrass (a handful a day) and he also loves Orchard hay.

Problem rabbit ;)

I've got one too! Actually Spenser is much better now, but still doesn't eat as much hay as I would like. I buy him sample packs from Animal Magic Pet Supplies, but he also eats Morrisons bedding hay. This is meadow hay, but marketed as 'bedding.' I often see Spenser eating it, whereas he doesn't like the Pets at Home hays you mention.

I've got one too! Actually Spenser is much better now, but still doesn't eat as much hay as I would like. I buy him sample packs from Animal Magic Pet Supplies, but he also eats Morrisons bedding hay. This is meadow hay, but marketed as 'bedding.' I often see Spenser eating it, whereas he doesn't like the Pets at Home hays you mention.

Hay have to try some :) The only Morrisons I know is 1 bus journey away, expect thats 1 bus journey is an hour long :shock: it stops directly outside my house though and stops directly outside morrisons too. May try it. Thumper "nibbles" but from my view is only doing so because he wants to eat, not because he is enjoying it :( Thumper didn't think much to the sample packs from The hay experts, except he liked the Readigrass and Orchard grass, which I already know he enjoys lol.

He is soooooo fussy, it's sometimes frustrating....hes a rabbit, they're supposed to be known for eating anything!!!!:lol:

Horse feed stores is a good source of cheap good quality hay. Or fresh grass is even cheaper if you have a garden :)

Horse feed stores is a good source of cheap good quality hay. Or fresh grass is even cheaper if you have a garden :)

Agreed. Pets at home hay is rubbish, it's short, dusty and mine hate it. I don't even get that if I'm stuck. :roll::lol: I'd rather cut my own. :lol: We get some lovely hay from ours, and if a bale is too big for you they may do bags.

Buy hay from a farmer or feed merchant by the bale. Many people use a quilt cover to transport it in. Check that the hay smells sweet before you buy it, not musty. If it is horse quality it should do for rabbits.

We have lovely hay this year, the only trouble is they are eating more, we use a bale every day. Last year we only did that in the coldest weather. It is more expensive per bale too, so our hay bill is quite a bit higher. But worth it.

Back