• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please Help!! U/D ON LAST PAGE!!!

chloemurray

Warren Veteran
okay, so i know the title seems a bit desperate, but that's honestly what i am. both my rabbits get burgess supa rabbit exel pellets, small amounts of fruit and veggies etc, and hay. nahla eats hay like it is going out of fashion, but benji simply REFUSES to touch it.

i just don't know what to do! i've tried hay racks, hay boxes, putting it in a litter box, cheap hay, expensive hay... but he just won't eat it at all.
atm i buy them a cheaper timothy hay for bedding and for snacking on, and then a more expensive green, crunchy 3rd cut timothy hay for their hay racks. nahla will eat it all but benji just won't eat any:(

sorry to ramble but i'm so worried because at a vet appointment recently they said benji has potential problems with his back teeth; because he won't eat hay.. and i'm really not in any financial position right now to be paying for dentals:/

is there anything i can do to encourage him to eat hay? or is there any alternative? please offer me some advice:(

Last edited:
You could try cutting down his pellets and veggies as a way to get him to eat more. What kind of hay do you usually buy for him?

Helen xx

You could try cutting down his pellets and veggies as a way to get him to eat more. What kind of hay do you usually buy for him?

Helen xx

i've tried that, and he wouldn't eat:/ i was so worried about him going into stasis or starving or something that i just gave in lol:/

they get a P@H own brand of hay for bedding but then they get the posher woodlands brand 3rd cut timothy hay for their hay racks. he won't even sniff it:S

i've tried that, and he wouldn't eat:/ i was so worried about him going into stasis or starving or something that i just gave in lol:/

they get a P@H own brand of hay for bedding but then they get the posher woodlands brand 3rd cut timothy hay for their hay racks. he won't even sniff it:S

I would advise you try giving him some readi grass as all bunnies seem to love the stuff and it could be a way to get him to try other kinds of hay too.

Helen xx

Try orchard grass or Readigrass. My Thumper isn't a fan of hay at all, very VERY picky, but he loves grass. Its worth a shot. It can get him used to a similar food type and then gradually introduce it while giving lower levels of pellets? See if he eats fresh grass that you've just pulled up first to see what he is like.

PS- although starving is seen as cruel, if he is hungry, he will eat.

Best of luck :)

Try orchard grass or Readigrass. My Thumper isn't a fan of hay at all, very VERY picky, but he loves grass. Its worth a shot. It can get him used to a similar food type and then gradually introduce it while giving lower levels of pellets? See if he eats fresh grass that you've just pulled up first to see what he is like.

PS- although starving is seen as cruel, if he is hungry, he will eat.

Best of luck :)

thanks, yeah i think i'll try him with readigrass. can i get it from P@H? i was there this evening but didn't think to get any lol:roll:

Perhaps its worth seeing a different vet. The possibility of him already having tooth problems could be why he's not keen on hay if he's never been a big hay eater this would make it worse. Especially if he's living with an enthusiastic hay eater as this usually encourages those who don't show an interest to eat more hay. I'd get a second opinion before wasting money on fancy stuff-as if it is his teeth the money can go towards his dentals. Personally i'd only cut down on other food once I knew there were no tooth or tummy health issues involved. How are his poops if he's not eating his hay? Hope you get him sorted, it's such a worry when they don't eat the food they're insides are designed for. :)

Perhaps its worth seeing a different vet. The possibility of him already having tooth problems could be why he's not keen on hay if he's never been a big hay eater this would make it worse. Especially if he's living with an enthusiastic hay eater as this usually encourages those who don't show an interest to eat more hay. I'd get a second opinion before wasting money on fancy stuff-as if it is his teeth the money can go towards his dentals. Personally i'd only cut down on other food once I knew there were no tooth or tummy health issues involved. How are his poops if he's not eating his hay? Hope you get him sorted, it's such a worry when they don't eat the food they're insides are designed for. :)

i know i'm so worried about him. he and nahla don't actually live together yet but they can see eachother, maybe if they ever live together it might encourage him to eat it more? because she seriously wolfs it down. my parents won't let me move vets as we have four dogs who are all seen by this particular one and they really like her. she didn't actually say he has dental problems she says he has the potential for them, if he doesn't start eating hay. because he doesn't eat it his poops are smaller and a darker colour than normal rabbit's poos. he's very fit and active, it's just this stpid hay issue i'm worried about. he eats a lot of grass, but hates the dryness of hay i think.

My rabbit doesn't eat hay , i am going to try him on some better ones as the one i have is from P@H. No idea if he has ever had hay or he just doesn't like it as he has only been with me since sunday .
He has very bad dental issues and the outlook is not good , vet has said to remove pellets from his diet gradually and he has to eat hay and veg . He is 2 1/2 yrs old . I was going to get a female to bond but now i am not sure as he is not neutered and i dont want to put him through to much plus he doesn't have the brightest of futures so would be unfair to bond if female was left alone ,but i dont want him to be lonely either , so i have to think about this very carefully.

There are also lots of other things you could give him which would help to grind his teeth as it involves him using his teeth in the same way. The good thing is you can collect most for free during a short walk somewhere "leafy" (although not long left now winter is approaching:( ). Here's a few: Bramble (still loads about), apple, raspberry, strawberry & hawthorn leaves. Plantain, dandelion. If you know anyone who has an allotment or veg patch ask them to save you anything they're disposing off that the buns can eat i.e. people often "thin out" & throw away strawberry plants but you can pinch the leaves off first. Raspberry canes are cut back at the end of the season so strip the leaves before hand! All can be dried and stored over winter. I also cut (scissors) grass from my paddock for my foster bun paw paw as she's not a great hay eater but LOVES fresh grass. I take a plastic box out 1-2 times a week and fill it. It stores fine in the garage. Maybe there is somewhere safe you could go snipping?

Hope this helps a bit :)

My rabbit doesn't eat hay , i am going to try him on some better ones as the one i have is from P@H. No idea if he has ever had hay or he just doesn't like it as he has only been with me since sunday .
He has very bad dental issues and the outlook is not good , vet has said to remove pellets from his diet gradually and he has to eat hay and veg . He is 2 1/2 yrs old . I was going to get a female to bond but now i am not sure as he is not neutered and i dont want to put him through to much plus he doesn't have the brightest of futures so would be unfair to bond if female was left alone ,but i dont want him to be lonely either , so i have to think about this very carefully.

I would give him time to settle and then see, it's early days. You could though try and encourage hay eating by mixing other things in with it. Try sprinkling some tasty natural treats over i.e rose petals, bramble leaves, hawthorn etc (also good for teefs ;) ) Also see my last post re. other yummies to try :)

You may find that once they live together that Benji may pick up Nahla's good hay habbits. It certainly worked with my pair. Lucky was a rubbish hay eater but since being with Daisy, he loves his hay.

I'd def suggest limiting the pellets and veggies too.

Good luck with it.

2 1/2 isn't old to neuter a bun. Why does he not have a bright future? I have a 9 year old bun who is going strong despite not being looked after very well by various other owners in the past. I don't think she's going any time soon.

I would give him time to settle and then see, it's early days. You could though try and encourage hay eating by mixing other things in with it. Try sprinkling some tasty natural treats over i.e rose petals, bramble leaves, hawthorn etc (also good for teefs ;) ) Also see my last post re. other yummies to try :)

Thanks , he is very quiet and doesn't do much he has a hutch but he spends most of his time indoors , sprawled out on an old baby gym (it's a big soft cow ) doesn't like to leave the comfort of this or like leaving his hutch either. Like you said he does need time to settle he is on painkillers for his teeth and he only had spurs removed on thursday.

Garden is small but i have 2 apple trees and raspberries :D plus i have herbs and i grow my own veg have a nice lot of strawbs as well . Gave him apple sticks yesterday he munched a bit on the leaves . will put him out on the grass today only have a small run at the moment but he seems to prefer smaller spaces i think he has spent his life in a hutch or like you said still needing time to settle.

Thanks , he is very quiet and doesn't do much he has a hutch but he spends most of his time indoors , sprawled out on an old baby gym (it's a big soft cow ) doesn't like to leave the comfort of this or like leaving his hutch either. Like you said he does need time to settle he is on painkillers for his teeth and he only had spurs removed on thursday.

Garden is small but i have 2 apple trees and raspberries :D plus i have herbs and i grow my own veg have a nice lot of strawbs as well . Gave him apple sticks yesterday he munched a bit on the leaves . will put him out on the grass today only have a small run at the moment but he seems to prefer smaller spaces i think he has spent his life in a hutch or like you said still needing time to settle.

Sounds like you're doing all the right things :) and you have a garden full of nice nom noms :D Yes he needs more time I would say. If he had his teeth done 2 days ago he won't be himself atm but another 48 hrs and you may see a change. If he's only ever had a very small area to move in it could take some time for him to adapt to a large space and he may never be a bun that charges about but so long as he has the choice and he's happy that's the main thing :) Keep us posted :)

eta: def don't rule out getting him a hunbun as this can often make a huge difference to their eating habits. So long as he's a good weight & healthy otherwise there's no reason for you not to have him neutered & he'll probably feel more chilled out as a result ;) Honeybunnies have all ages, shapes & sizes and we can do the bondings for you :D

Last edited:
My bunny is 7.5 and has had dental problems for the last 3.5 years. I thought his outlook was not good when I found out but I can reassure you that if you find a good bunny savvy vet then your bunny should be able to spend many happy years with you. My bun doesn't eat hay and I have tried everything :roll: He is bonded with a female who is a good hay eater (well, anything eater :lol:)

Might be worth you asking in Rabbit Chat if anyone can recommend one in your area. Vets that are good with dogs and cats are not always so good with bunnies.

There are also lots of other things you could give him which would help to grind his teeth as it involves him using his teeth in the same way. The good thing is you can collect most for free during a short walk somewhere "leafy" (although not long left now winter is approaching:( ). Here's a few: Bramble (still loads about), apple, raspberry, strawberry & hawthorn leaves. Plantain, dandelion. If you know anyone who has an allotment or veg patch ask them to save you anything they're disposing off that the buns can eat i.e. people often "thin out" & throw away strawberry plants but you can pinch the leaves off first. Raspberry canes are cut back at the end of the season so strip the leaves before hand! All can be dried and stored over winter. I also cut (scissors) grass from my paddock for my foster bun paw paw as she's not a great hay eater but LOVES fresh grass. I take a plastic box out 1-2 times a week and fill it. It stores fine in the garage. Maybe there is somewhere safe you could go snipping?

Hope this helps a bit :)

thankyou so much! i live in the countryside so this is perfect advice:D

My bunny is 7.5 and has had dental problems for the last 3.5 years. I thought his outlook was not good when I found out but I can reassure you that if you find a good bunny savvy vet then your bunny should be able to spend many happy years with you. My bun doesn't eat hay and I have tried everything :roll: He is bonded with a female who is a good hay eater (well, anything eater :lol:)

Might be worth you asking in Rabbit Chat if anyone can recommend one in your area. Vets that are good with dogs and cats are not always so good with bunnies.

Very true & good point :)

Back