• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Hutch?

I have decided to get my rabbit a new hutch because the one she came with is not up to scratch, the plan is to get her a new hutch, get her neutered and eventually get her a husbun! I have found a single storey 6ft by 2ft by 2ft hutch that I like but is this big enough for 2 rabbits? I am really confused by all the guidelines and I keep reading different info everywhere, one website said that a 5ft multi storey hutch would also be fine? :? HELP?!

I have decided to get my rabbit a new hutch because the one she came with is not up to scratch, the plan is to get her a new hutch, get her neutered and eventually get her a husbun! I have found a single storey 6ft by 2ft by 2ft hutch that I like but is this big enough for 2 rabbits? I am really confused by all the guidelines and I keep reading different info everywhere, one website said that a 5ft multi storey hutch would also be fine? :? HELP?!

RSPCA guidelines say a 6x2x2 hutch + 6x4x2 run for a pair of bunnies as minimum :) Thats what you'll be quoted on here from most people i think.

Well done for asking for information and about getting your girly a husbun!

a 5ft 2 tier would be fine but I would prefer a single tier 6ft x 2ft with attached run. Have you considered a shed? They can often be a similar price to a good quality hutch such as http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/Wooden-Storage/BillyOh-Hyper-Store or http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/Wooden-Sheds/BillyOh-Value-8-x-6-Tongue-and-Groove-Apex or even a bike store which is normally not quite as tall if height is an issue http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/Timber-Garden-Sheds :wave:

I already have a run I bought before I got her, so I plan just to attatch it to the new hutch :) I considered a shed but our garden is more of a yard than anything else so I doubt one would fit, we are hoping to move next year to a house with a bigger garden, what sort of size shed would be good?

I already have a run I bought before I got her, so I plan just to attatch it to the new hutch :) I considered a shed but our garden is more of a yard than anything else so I doubt one would fit, we are hoping to move next year to a house with a bigger garden, what sort of size shed would be good?

6x4 perhaps?

Bigger the better, but obviously you have to take into consideration the space you have and the cost - and if you are hoping to move - how easy it will be to take down and transport! :)

Also consider the cost of the lino to line the floor for example.

6x4 perhaps?

That's a really good size as it's not massive but you can still get in to clean.

Also consider the cost of the lino to line the floor for example.

Not expensive as pound shops sell packs of lino tiles which are really good. Can't remember if the packs come in 4's or 6's but for a 6x4 shed you need 4 rows of 6 tiles so that may be as cheap as £4 if they come in packs of 6 or £6 if they come in packs of 4.

Not expensive as pound shops sell packs of lino tiles which are really good. Can't remember if the packs come in 4's or 6's but for a 6x4 shed you need 4 rows of 6 tiles so that may be as cheap as £4 if they come in packs of 6 or £6 if they come in packs of 4.

I've been strongly recommended NOT to use the tiles, as buns tend to be able to pull up the corners and then it ends up meaining you have to buy more to re-lay :?

Not sure of your opinions on that, just want to assist the OP the best we can :)

I've been strongly recommended NOT to use the tiles, as buns tend to be able to pull up the corners and then it ends up meaining you have to buy more to re-lay :?

Not sure of your opinions on that, just want to assist the OP the best we can :)

When I used them in my shed I had no problems as the buns couldn't get to them anyway as I covered it with newspaper and had rugs down too. It was just there as an extra layer of protection should they decide to pee somewhere other than their litter trays :wave:.

When I used them in my shed I had no problems as the buns couldn't get to them anyway as I covered it with newspaper and had rugs down too. It was just there as an extra layer of protection should they decide to pee somewhere other than their litter trays :wave:.

:wave:

Glad it worked for you :)

Dont even start me on peeing somewhere other than litter trays :lol:

And mine are house buns! :lol:

:wave:

Glad it worked for you :)

Dont even start me on peeing somewhere other than litter trays :lol:

And mine are house buns! :lol:

Oh dear, when I bought my kennel I decided not to use lino as mine are really good with their trays. Just have small Ikea rugs in there now which I bung in the wash once a week.

Ermm well I have a 2 floor hutch for 1 rabbit :p So I don't know really about a 1 floor one. But it depends on how long and big it is. I personally reconmend a double floor hutch becuase thers alot more space. ;)

Back