• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Anyone Had Unvaccinated Buns Surviving Myxi?

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
This is NOT a thread to encourage people NOT to vaccinate - vaccination is very very important!!!

However . . as you know Hawthorn has now been fighting myxi for almost 7 weeks and, although he was only vaccinated 8 weeks before his first symptoms (and previously only 6 months before that ) his symptoms have been so severe that I am assuming neither vaccine triggered any immunity in him - so his system is acting like an unvaccinated bun.

Therefore - I would be very grateful for any news of any buns that survived myxi despite being unvaccinated - and also any information on how the disease progressed in them and how long it was until they started to recover and then fully recovered and whether they have any long term issues.

Although it would be less bias to ask for the eventual outcomes of all unvaccinated buns who caught myxi - I am afraid that I do not really want information about the ones that did not make it. Apologies for that but we are trying to remain positive here - and after 7 long weeks positive news and information is what we need!!!

I always hesitate in replying to threads like these as I am so ashamed that I didn't get my buns vaccinated:oops: I totally misunderstood how the disease was contracted (thought as long as they had no access to wild bunnies they would be OK).

I had a bonded group of five buns and all caught myxi. One or other was at the vet on an almost daily basis (I did a lot less myself for my buns then than I do now). I can't remember how long it went on - but it felt forever. I thought one was OK and then found another nodule. It was horrendous and knowing it was my own fault made me feel so guilty, although the vet did tell me that other cases she was treating were in vaccinated buns.

All five did survive the myxi but two were PTS within six months. Daisy was a dental bun who had many, many problems and had already had an eye removed. She had had a tumour removed too and eventually her breathing was compromised and it was decided it would be kinder to have her PTS. She died in my arms:cry:. I think that possibly the myxi weakened her immune system, but she was a 'mature' bun and had already survived longer than we had expected with all the health problems she had.

My other bun, Pumpkin, went downhill very suddenly and I do wonder if that was because of the myxi - but it was some months afterwards so it could be totally unrelated. The vet advised PTS as he was so very poorly - he became dehydrated and hypothermic but when I first took him to the vet she said he was OK!!! Hours later I was advised PTS!!! I changed vet after that. These days I would be much more assertive as I feel I know more about buns. Back then I thought vets knew it all:(

My other three buns, Molly, Munchkin and Dylan are still with me - and Dylan must be an old man by now - he went grey years ago.

I know a lot of people say unvaccinated buns have no chance - and my vet gave me that impression too - and was totally amazed when my five survived. My buns all wanted to fight the disease and I know there are mixed views on this, but I strongly believe that keeping them all together helped them support each other through. Apart from the constant vet visits I tried to keep things as usual so I didn't bring them inside at all, although it was November when they were poorly.

I have eight (nine on Monday:)) buns now and all are vaccinated every six months.

Good luck with Hawthorn. Molly, Munchkin and Dylan send him lots of vibes and have asked you to tell him that he will be better soon - and up to mischief like they are!!!:love:

Thank you for sharing this . . have you any idea (in months . . ) how long it was before the ones that survived fully had their lumps and scabs off?

To actually have the lumps and scabs off was a very long time - probably about three or four months (but I could have remembered wrong). I do recall thinking that they would have them permanently!! They weren't poorly for that long though - they recovered but still had lumps and scabs - but apart from their physical appearance they were back to their usual selves. I think the lumps at the base of the ears took the longest to go.

I'm have a vague feeling that someone from Scotland had an unvaccinated bunny survive myxo last year. I can't pull out a name of person or rabbit though, so that's totally unhelpful, but I'm sure there was a bunny. We were all amazed.

To actually have the lumps and scabs off was a very long time - probably about three or four months (but I could have remembered wrong). I do recall thinking that they would have them permanently!! They weren't poorly for that long though - they recovered but still had lumps and scabs - but apart from their physical appearance they were back to their usual selves. I think the lumps at the base of the ears took the longest to go.

Can you remember when their eyes unsewelled enough for some vision?

Also, Hawthorn must feel very "tight" around the mouth (as well as the swellings), and so is having to be hand fed. Do you remember when that'll loosen enough for him to pick up food and eat himself.

I think when he can see and eat normally it'll give him a real boost! :)

I know . . but I keep forgetting which ones were jabbed and which not:oops: Am trying to gauge some idea of time scale for the poor soul

Back