• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anybody know how to littertrain a hamster

We used to use a big pickle jar turned on its side, as it allows them to stand on the curved sides and it keeps their feet out of the way when they wee.

We started off putting in bits of soiled paper, and once he got the hang of it (only a few days) , it was a case of just washing the jar out a morning and night.

We used to use a big pickle jar turned on its side, as it allows them to stand on the curved sides and it keeps their feet out of the way when they wee.

We started off putting in bits of soiled paper, and once he got the hang of it (only a few days) , it was a case of just washing the jar out a morning and night.

Great thanks :) Im going to be cleaning him out later soo will put the litter tray in :) Do you know of a good hamster wheel(the ones u attatch to the cage not the balls) because ive bought my hamster two Rolly ones and both have broke :s he doesent have one at the moment because he broke it last week...

gosh, i've kept hamsters and hadn't considered 'training' them. they just establish a latrine of their choosing. they like a jar, so do gerbils!

My little fella just went in his tray when I put it in a corner. I didn't have to do anything, he seemed to just know to go there. Maybe he'd had one before though, he was at least 3rd hand by the time he came to me :(

Great thanks :) Im going to be cleaning him out later soo will put the litter tray in :) Do you know of a good hamster wheel(the ones u attatch to the cage not the balls) because ive bought my hamster two Rolly ones and both have broke :s he doesent have one at the moment because he broke it last week...

These ones are the best for hams http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=446&pf_id=52720&co=fr . If it's a Syrian hamster they will need the 8" so they don't curve their backs too much when running :wave:

I put litter boxes into the corners he natuarally peed in and then put wood pellet cat litter in there covered with some hemp stuff (I use on his floor ... aubiouse or something) and put some dirty hemp stuff in there as well. Every time I clean him out I put a bit of dirty stuff back in so he always knows where to go. :)

I use jars. Put some pee soaked bedding and poo in the jar so they'll understand to go in there. My hams always pee in their litterpans and poop a little. All the rest of their poop is in their nest, which is simple to clean because their nests are cardboard boxes so I just throw them away every few days.

I just didn't put anything in at first so I could see where he was weeing, then put a tray where he was going and he always goes there now

Back