• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nethie cross Dutch?

Bunny_mad

Alpha Buck
I was just reading the 'what breeds do you have' thread and saw a couple of nethie cross Dutch? Is this cross breed ok? By that I mean due to the diff head shapes of the nethie and the Dutch is there a higher possibility of malformation of the jaw and dental issues? If you have any pics of your cross Dutch/Nethies I would love to see :)

I have Badger, who is a full nethie, but people often confuse him as a nethie dutch X because of his markings and I wonder if people are doing that their theirs.

The different characteristics could present a problem, but not always.

030.jpg

031-1.jpg

Comet is a full nethie too - But again he has dutch like markings. I think it is someting to do with the genes that give him his blue eyes that give him the markings but I am a bit clueless when it comes to that side of things.

2.jpg

I have Badger, who is a full nethie, but people often confuse him as a nethie dutch X because of his markings and I wonder if people are doing that their theirs.

The different characteristics could present a problem, but not always.

030.jpg

031-1.jpg

Squeak! Beautiful and you make a very good point it may just been the markings :)

Comet is a full nethie too - But again he has dutch like markings. I think it is someting to do with the genes that give him his blue eyes that give him the markings but I am a bit clueless when it comes to that side of things.

2.jpg

Omg too cute for words :)

Omg too cute for words

Thank You. :) I only went in to buy some bunny food and even managed to leave the store with just that, but his lovely blue eyes kept tugging at my heart strings so hubby went back for him.

2.jpg

Beautiful bunny.

Yes, its the vienna gene (the blue eyed white gene) that causes markings like this.

IMG_3393.jpg

Maia is supposed to be a Nethie, but because of her rather slender frame and markings (and because I know the breeder who supplies the pet shp I took her from must have Dutchies) someone suggested a Dutch x Nethie cross.
She's 9 months old and healthy. So far she hadn't had any teeth problem.

I was discussing Badger with my daughter the other night. I confidently informed her he is a nethie x dutch:oops: She absolutely loved him:love:

When are you next going to update his thread?

I was discussing Badger with my daughter the other night. I confidently informed her he is a nethie x dutch:oops: She absolutely loved him:love:

When are you next going to update his thread?

:lol: Sorry!

Badger is doing super well. Shall I update his thread soon? I'll try and do it tomorrow if you like.

People often mistake vienna marked rabbits for dutch crosses. The vienna gene (which you get in blue eyed white rabbits) can cause markings almost exact to those of a dutch without there being any dutch in the line.

Omg all the bunnies are so beautiful! Sorry for the slow response I was at work. So u can get crosses and bunnies that just carry the markings. Either way they are all too cute for words :)

this is Reggie

IMG_0106.jpg

i always thought he was a nethie, but he doesn't look completely like one, just is small and has little ears, so i thought he could be a dutch as he has a similar narrower face shape and thin body, but i settled on a cross breed as i think he is a bit of both. His official breed is a Reggie!

i have also seen identical reggies in P@H so he is whatever breed they have i expect. I got him from a rescue but suspect he is an ex P@H bunny

Last edited:
this is Reggie

IMG_0106.jpg

i always thought he was a nethie, but he doesn't look completely like one, just is small and has little ears, so i thought he could be a dutch as he has a similar narrower face shape and thin body, but i settled on a cross breed as i think he is a bit of both. His official breed is a Reggie!

i have also seen identical reggies in P@H so he is whatever breed they have i expect. I got him from a rescue but suspect he is an ex P@H bunny

he looks like my Sebastian (but in blue) who is a P@H bunny too :wave: and Ive seen a baby Sebastian ;) I thought he may be a nethieXpolish :wave:

Back