• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rats... lots of cute pictures :-)

tigerbabe

Mama Doe
This is Herbert.

019R.jpg

He was all on his own, chasing his tail and trying to push the bedding everywhere when I first saw him and I fell in love. With my OH's ok, we decided to bring him home with us and try to introduce him to one of our existing pairs. Sadly they were all in failing health and on thinking about it a bit more, it didn't really seem fair.
So we adopted 3 boys of roughly the same age intending them to be friends for Herbert.

Alfie...
002R.jpg

Chester (on the shelf) and Max (in the hammock)
001R.jpg

Unfortunately things didn't work out and despite getting the 2 boys who were causing problems neutered the 3rd stepped into their shoes and took over beating Herbert up.

I was pondering my options when the rescue I get most of my rats from had a little 7 week old boy come in. He was with his 3 sisters but obviously they had to be seperated and he wasn't doing very well on his own... who can blame him, it's a scary old world!
So we decided that it was worth giving him a go with Herbert.
Meet Oscar...

018R.jpg

Herbert being a big wuss, in case the tiny little baby beat him up :lol:
094.jpg

It took a few days for Herbert to realise Oscar wouldn't be mean to him but he finally relaxed... and my OH took this picture when I was out.
026.jpg

:love::love::love:

A few random pics...

029R.jpg

084.jpg

068.jpg

011R.jpg

So happy for Herbert! One of my foster buns is beat up by the three other girls she came in with and I feel so bad for her. She's frightened of me, too, but I'm just starting to get her warmed up....will take a while!
I would just love it if she is as lucky as Hebert and finds (I hope to find for her) a good buddy she can trust! :love:

Absolutely gorgeous boys :love:. Just a small suggestion for you. It really helps babies development if they have other rat company of the same age. I think it may help Oscar a little if you could find another recue boy of a similar age for him and also so you are not left with 2 when the inevitable happens to Herbert :wave:.

Those pictures are lovely :love: Oscar looks just like two rats i used to have - Freya and Amelie. Unfortunately out of all the animals we have my son had quite an allergic reaction to them. I was totally gutted and loved them so much. I managed to get a great home for them - A lady who lives an hour or so away from us was looking for some females to add to her rat family. They now have an enormous cage, plenty of playtime and if im honest a much better life than they did here with us.
Anyway im waffling the main point is i love seeing pics of other peoples rats and brings back some lovely memories :)

Absolutely gorgeous boys :love:. Just a small suggestion for you. It really helps babies development if they have other rat company of the same age. I think it may help Oscar a little if you could find another recue boy of a similar age for him and also so you are not left with 2 when the inevitable happens to Herbert :wave:.

I know, I wouldn't normally have just the one baby and the rescue wouldn't normally home one. In the circumstances though it was better for him to move in with Herbert than to be on his own at the rescue. I think it helped the intros too if I'm honest.

Lovely photos, i used to have rats my mum has them now as i wsnt allowed rats into my rented property, they classed them dirty and vermin which is anoying lol

I know, I wouldn't normally have just the one baby and the rescue wouldn't normally home one. In the circumstances though it was better for him to move in with Herbert than to be on his own at the rescue. I think it helped the intros too if I'm honest.

I completely agree with you just a suggestion if a single boy happened to pop up somewhere :wave:

I completely agree with you just a suggestion if a single boy happened to pop up somewhere :wave:

I'd only be happy trying with a really young baby to be honest (say 7-8 weeks max) and there doesn't seem to be many about at the moment. But it's definitely something I'll keep in mind. Any excuse to GMR (just have to convince my OH) ;):lol:

I'd only be happy trying with a really young baby to be honest (say 7-8 weeks max) and there doesn't seem to be many about at the moment. But it's definitely something I'll keep in mind. Any excuse to GMR (just have to convince my OH) ;):lol:

There's the Park rats and possibly one of the Norwich hutch rats is due to pop :wave:. I've never intro-ed boys so I'm not really in a position to preach to you about it but a baby would definitely what I would go for in your position.

There's the Park rats and possibly one of the Norwich hutch rats is due to pop :wave:. I've never intro-ed boys so I'm not really in a position to preach to you about it but a baby would definitely what I would go for in your position.

Herbert, Max, Alfie & Chester were all about 12-14 weeks when I did the original intros, so with all the problems I had I think very young babies are definitely the right way to go.
I thought about the park rats but there only seems to be girls in the re-homing section, so I assumed all the boys were spoken for.

Herbert, Max, Alfie & Chester were all about 12-14 weeks when I did the original intros, so with all the problems I had I think very young babies are definitely the right way to go.
I thought about the park rats but there only seems to be girls in the re-homing section, so I assumed all the boys were spoken for.

Wow! that is young to have issues. You are putting me off ever having boys now, think I might just stick to girls along with the odd de-nadded boy. Think I've done about 12 adult female intros so far and they have all been pretty easy. I found the 1 baby intro much trickier.

Wow! that is young to have issues. You are putting me off ever having boys now, think I might just stick to girls along with the odd de-nadded boy. Think I've done about 12 adult female intros so far and they have all been pretty easy. I found the 1 baby intro much trickier.

I like the fact with boys that you always have the option to neuter, but that's more practical if you just have the one trouble maker :lol:
I think I would have had to have Max and Alfie done anyway as they were both trying to be the boss and it was causing problems, so it may just have been that I chose the most hormone ridden boys around :roll:
I was going to have Herbert and Chester done too and try intros one last time with the option of then getting some girls to go in with Herbert if it didn't work out, but when Oscar needed a friend it seemed the perfect option.

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I love love LOVE :love: ratties! Its not fair that I am not allowed one, humph. I love the way your family mulitplied, tee hee! ;)

I like the fact with boys that you always have the option to neuter, but that's more practical if you just have the one trouble maker :lol:
I think I would have had to have Max and Alfie done anyway as they were both trying to be the boss and it was causing problems, so it may just have been that I chose the most hormone ridden boys around :roll:
I was going to have Herbert and Chester done too and try intros one last time with the option of then getting some girls to go in with Herbert if it didn't work out, but when Oscar needed a friend it seemed the perfect option.

You have it for girls too. I've sapyed 2 aggressive females so far, 1 is currently waiting to be mixed with friends.

Back