• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spenser in his litter tray! NEW PHOTO post 8

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
PB040379.jpg

Don't know if he did anything, because I had of course encouraged him to use it by putting some poos from the hutch in the straw. Still, could be progress. Rubbish photo - I was so excited my hand was shaking. :oops:

Last edited:
Ohh, he is loving that box! Does he do his 'bussiness' in there? x

No, I'm afraid not. He likes to do all his business in the bedroom of his hutch. I am trying to litter train him so that I can, if it gets very cold, house him in the conservatory over the winter.

Bless Spenser :love:

Do you have an old washing up bowl? I just thought, Spenser may find "going" in a cardboard box a bit confusing as he also likes to play with/chew cardboard. A plastic bowl lined with newspaper & filled with hay (not straw) would be ideal if you can do this? :) You'll need to remove hay from anywhere you don't want him to pee though (I know he's not a great hay eater but he should still get the idea) ;)

Pop the bowl & contents inside the "bedroom" area of his hutch and then bring it in with him when he comes inside. He may even let you carry him in the bowl eventually!!

Last edited:
Bless Spenser :love:

Do you have an old washing up bowl? I just thought, Spenser may find "going" in a cardboard box a bit confusing as he also likes to play/chew cardboard. A plastic bowl lined with newspaper & filled with hay (not straw) would be ideal if you can do this? :)

No, but I will happily buy him a new one! I just used the box because it was the right size. Why not straw? :? Spenser loves his straw. He has a mixture of hay and straw in his bedroom.

No, but I will happily buy him a new one! I just used the box because it was the right size. Why not straw? :? Spenser loves his straw. He has a mixture of hay and straw in his bedroom.

I know a few people who use straw for bedding but it has no nutritional value and so personally I wouldn't bother with it at all, just stick with hay. Buns like to eat where they poop (& at the same time) hence why you put the hay in the bowl but nowhere else. You could sprinkle some of his fav things on top too as an extra incentive ;) At bedtime Bouncer & Paw Paw have rose petals, bramble, apple & hawthorn leaves and a carrot top placed on top of their hay filled litter bowls. Not that they're spoilt or anything :roll::oops:

Last edited:
I know a few people who use straw for bedding but it has no nutritional value and so personally I wouldn't bother with it at all, just stick with hay. Buns like to eat where they poop (& at the same time) hence why you put the hay in the bowl but nowhere else. You could sprinkle some of his fav things on top too as an extra incentive ;)

I have a good stock of plantain, dandelion and some new dried wild apple and carrot pieces. Not sure if I'll be able to get a bowl at the weekend. Maybe I should just get a litter tray. I will probably need to put some straw in as he is so used to it.

I have a good stock of plantain, dandelion and some new dried wild apple and carrot pieces. Not sure if I'll be able to get a bowl at the weekend. Maybe I should just get a litter tray. I will probably need to put some straw in as he is so used to it.

Lucky Spenser :D:D

If you go for a litter tray you need a very deep one or you'll find he'll miss :oops: Normal cat litter trays are no good . Washing up bowls are ideal or for larger buns/areas under bed storage boxes. Measure his bedroom area though to be sure you don't get one that won't fit in! I speak from experience :lol:

Personally I would: 100% empty his bedroom area & disinfect it. Then once aired & dry, line the floor with newspaper and put in the litter tray filled with newspaper & hay (+ other goodies ;)). I would use this opportunity as a fresh start & attempt at getting him to eat more hay too. I honestly wouldn't worry about the straw, he won't be getting any goodness from it at all and you'll be surprised how quickly he adapts :) You could always put a little straw elsewhere though if you felt he was missing it :)

Last edited:
No, I'm afraid not. He likes to do all his business in the bedroom of his hutch. I am trying to litter train him so that I can, if it gets very cold, house him in the conservatory over the winter.

Ohh dear, it will take some time for him to adjust but hopefully he will get the hang of it ;)

awwww :love: well done spenser, how is he doing now? it does take a while for them to get used to the idea, but thats a great litter box :)

Back