• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

E mail re bunny

honeybunny

Wise Old Thumper
Received this

"Hi have your leaflet on bunnies and are enquiring if you have any large does at

the moment. I am looking for 1 doe who has not been neutered.

Thanks
S***** "

I replied

"Hi S*****

we do have a lot of rabbits looking for homes
When you say large have you a certain breed in mind and why not neutered?

Regards

Jill @ Honeybunnies "

guess the reply.....
just arrived

" Thanx 4 reply. Want a new zealand white or flemish gaint or simelar. I have a
buck and would like 2 breed with him."

do people really think rescues will supply breeding animals..and what sort of breeder gets a rescue one for their stock?:roll:

just wording a polite reply..may take me some time!

Last edited:
Would you like to invite them to the fundraiser on Sunday - maybe they'd like to watch the slide show? :roll:

I'd love to see her reply, it's unbelievable.

When we bought our dog home from the rescue the lady told us how someone tried to return a boxer to them because he wasn't mating, when she said they were a rescue and neuter all the dogs apparently the couple kicked up a huge fuss saying they'd been falsely sold a pedigree.
a) castrated males clearly don't have nuts, b) they repeatedly tell you that the £140 for the dog is just to cover neutering, vaccinations, worming, etc. I couldn't believe the stupidity! :shock:

Not to mention if you're serious about breeding you'd want an animal that you know the medical history of (not that I support it, but still....). :(

dear XXXXXXX

firstly thankyou for contacting us with regards to giving one of our rabbits a home,
im not sure if you read our leaflet thouroughly as all our rabbits are neutered before rehoming, i understand many people think breeding is ok unfortunatly we are not one of them, this is because so many bunnies end up unwanted in rescues due to the amount of unwanted rabbits (children get bored, people loose interest, rabbits have unforseen and costly vet bills etc etc) and i just cant see the need for having more bunnies when there are so many already needing homes, also the only reason i can see for people wanting a bred rabbit is so they can show the rabbits but for this you need the rabbits to be brc rung (which no rescue rabbit is) and also you need several years of family history when breeding to ensure no genetic defects are present again something you would be unable to do with a rescue rabbit. another reason all our rabbits are neutered (apart from the obvious breeding reason) is to prevent cancer which a high percentage of rabbits do suffer from sadly regardless of if they have previously been bred or not. we feel its the least we can do to ensure thier future welfare.

If however you have also changed your mind about breeding, we would love to have you come and look at some of our does (all are spayed already) and give one a loving home, rabbits as im sure you know love company and form lasting bonds of freindship the easiest thing to do would be to neuter your male and pair him with a neutered female from rescue, we can help you choose the right personality rabbit and help with bonding.

We do hope you understand where we are coming from and look forward to hearing from you should you change your mind.

Kind regards xxxxxxx

maybe something along the lines of that? educational but firmly stating why you dont agree with breeding and that you wont supply a breeding rabbit. x

ah just noted this post.... hope that she changes her mind xxx

Sometimes they do - I had a lady contact me via pre-loved re. breeding buns. I explained about the 35,000 per year that end up in rescue etc etc and she sent a really nice reply saying she had no idea, felt awful, was shocked etc & would find another hobby!!

dear XXXXXXX

firstly thankyou for contacting us with regards to giving one of our rabbits a home,
im not sure if you read our leaflet thouroughly as all our rabbits are neutered before rehoming, i understand many people think breeding is ok unfortunatly we are not one of them, this is because so many bunnies end up unwanted in rescues due to the amount of unwanted rabbits (children get bored, people loose interest, rabbits have unforseen and costly vet bills etc etc) and i just cant see the need for having more bunnies when there are so many already needing homes, also the only reason i can see for people wanting a bred rabbit is so they can show the rabbits but for this you need the rabbits to be brc rung (which no rescue rabbit is) and also you need several years of family history when breeding to ensure no genetic defects are present again something you would be unable to do with a rescue rabbit. another reason all our rabbits are neutered (apart from the obvious breeding reason) is to prevent cancer which a high percentage of rabbits do suffer from sadly regardless of if they have previously been bred or not. we feel its the least we can do to ensure thier future welfare.

If however you have also changed your mind about breeding, we would love to have you come and look at some of our does (all are spayed already) and give one a loving home, rabbits as im sure you know love company and form lasting bonds of freindship the easiest thing to do would be to neuter your male and pair him with a neutered female from rescue, we can help you choose the right personality rabbit and help with bonding.

We do hope you understand where we are coming from and look forward to hearing from you should you change your mind.

Kind regards xxxxxxx

maybe something along the lines of that? educational but firmly stating why you dont agree with breeding and that you wont supply a breeding rabbit. x

:) very good! and imformative! hopfully she will change her mind about the breeding thing, but when people are doing it for money chances are they dont care about rabbit welfare :( so sad as so many need loving homes, we dont need anymore being neglected!

:roll: I just don't understand people breeding animals as a "hobby". Surely a hobby is painting, scrapbooking, knitting etc.

:roll: I just don't understand people breeding animals as a "hobby". Surely a hobby is painting, scrapbooking, knitting etc.

its prob not the best hobby in my books :roll: think they should ban breeding untill all the homeless bunnys get loving homes :love:

:shock: Does anyone else get the feeling they're going to reply some thing along the lines of 'They won't end up back in rescue, we are going to eat them...'

I took a similar phonecall whilst volunteering one day. It wasn't obvious at first that that's what her plan was but then I got it out of her. I spent the next 10 minutes explaining at leangth all the reasons behind why you shouldn't breed and especially rabbits with unknown genetics. No idea if any of it went in but at least she had the info and hopefully would at least do a little research on how to do it properly if that's what she chose.

Back