• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hard decision to make

thenamesJT

Mama Doe
So one of my best friends has asked me to move into his flat along with his sister as they are looking for a 3rd flat mate. Its just a one year lease & the flat is just gorgeous! 2 bathrooms, walk in wardrobes & only £300 a month rent!

The thing is.....I cant take Rodge & Orla. :( My mum has said that they can stay with her (thats where I live already) & I should go and experience living away from home. I feel really guilty about leaving them behind but I really want to try out & see what its like living on my own!

Id obviously go visit my babies every weekend & pay for their food & healthcare.

Am I being selfish? :oops:

I'd talk to the landlord about bringing your rabbits, see if s/he might make an exception if you offer a larger deposit.

Yes, you are being selfish because its looking at your wants and needs.

However, that said, everyone thinks of being selfish as a bad thing, but its not. We all have to be selfish to survive. There are times when its appropriate to be selfish, and times when its not. Only you can work that one out though.

Will you mum be able to look after them properly? Does she have the time and such? Could you get home if necessary? Maybe looking at it rationally and practically may help.

I'd talk to the landlord about bringing your rabbits, see if s/he might make an exception if you offer a larger deposit.

Its a definate No from the landlord im afraid.

I do love my buns but this opportunity will give me the chance to see how I cope on my own without my parents. Obviously after the year is up Id be looking to buy my own flat & take the buns with me.

Yes, you are being selfish because its looking at your wants and needs.

However, that said, everyone thinks of being selfish as a bad thing, but its not. We all have to be selfish to survive. There are times when its appropriate to be selfish, and times when its not. Only you can work that one out though.

Will you mum be able to look after them properly? Does she have the time and such? Could you get home if necessary? Maybe looking at it rationally and practically may help.

My mum knows the buns routines & she doesnt work so shes there for them most of the day. I would only be living 20 mins drive away & I have my own car. Im trying to rule with my head not my heart on this one as ill miss the little mites. Its just an opportunity that I feel id regret if I didnt go for it.
I could stay at home for another 2 years & save a deposit on my own flat but I feel that id be throwing myself into the deep end with a mortgage & living completely alone. Im trying to see this as a trial run but feel incredibly guilty.

GO GO it will be fun.

Thats what im thinking, im 24 and ive never moved out! Ive just came out of a 3 year relationship & I think this is the first time in my life that ive felt confident enough to move on & move out!

Id be happy to dirve home every 2nd night to see my buns! :lol:

My sisters boyfriend is going to install lighting & heating into their hutch for next winter, I feel very lucky to have a family who love Rodge & Orla as much as I do. :love:

No one can tell you what to do, but it does sound like they will be very much ok ad very much looked after if you do choose to move out.

No one can tell you what to do, but it does sound like they will be very much ok ad very much looked after if you do choose to move out.

Sky-O you dont realise how much I listen to your advice, you word things perfectly!
:)

Id still be very much involved in their lives & obviously this is going to be a very hard decision to make. Ive got until the end of January to think it through....

I think you should go for it. I had a similar situation going on when I went to uni, as I had to leave 4 rabbits here whilst I was there. They were well looked after though and didn't seem to be that affected. Of course now I'm very glad to be back so I can give them all the attention they need myself.

Helen xx

I think you should go for it. I had a similar situation going on when I went to uni, as I had to leave 4 rabbits here whilst I was there. They were well looked after though and didn't seem to be that affected. Of course now I'm very glad to be back so I can give them all the attention they need myself.

Thanks for this, very comforting to hear a similar story to mine. My buns are just happy to be cleaned out, fed, watered & let out for a run around in the evenings. I bet they wouldnt even notice that Id moved out! :shock:

Yup go for it - living away from home is something you really need to experience. All I would say is that its hard going back to your parents once you have moved out so be aware :D

Is there a garden where you would be going is there an option for them to move with you outside when the weather gets nice again?

Yup go for it - living away from home is something you really need to experience. All I would say is that its hard going back to your parents once you have moved out so be aware

Is there a garden where you would be going is there an option for them to move with you outside when the weather gets nice again?

:D Oh im sure I wont want to move back home but ill definately find a flat/house where I can take my buns after this lease runs out.:D

Im afraid theres not a garden, Id be home every weekend to smother them with kisses to make up for not being with them all week. I just really want to move into this flat, its in the city centre of Edinburgh & 10 mins walk from my work.....and the bars!

i had to leave my cat when i moved out.. admittedly it was only cus my mom cried and i was only around the corner so i knew he would never settle when he was so close to home... to me moving out of a parents home without the pets who are settled and happy is alot different than just getting rid.

i saw George every day so the promise of a family home forever was not actually broken he was still part of our family..

if your mom is happy to take over the care then go for it :D thats what i would do anyhows... now i HAVE to take my pets with me when i move because there isnt anyone staying behind if that makes sense.

Do it! My buns stayed at home with my parents when I went to uni. I found that they became subsitute children for my parents and were spoiled rotten!!!

As you say, you're close enough to see them whenever you like.

Have fun!

:love:

Wow everyone youre responses have made me feel less guilty!:love:

I sat with the buns last night & had a good long think to myself....I think its best if they stay at my parents next year whilst I find out what moving out feels like!

Also Rodge loves his Sunday romps in the garden, Id feel so bad taking him away from our massive garden & his beloved pond! Orla never goes any further than the back step....shes unsure of the outside world. :roll:

Oh I dont feel so bad feeling all excited about my new adventure now!!!!

go, try living with friends. if you like it, you might want your own place with bunspace. if you don't go, you'll never know. my guess is that your mum will love looking after your bunnies...

Back