• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Calming vibes please!

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
Please send calming vibes to Spenser and I. :shock::( The little rascal managed to get upstairs while I was distracted by a neighbour and I had an awful time catching him. He nearly got behind my parents' bed unit - there are cables there and God alone knows how I would have got him out. I feel AWFUL for letting this happen. My poor boy is back in his hutch now with a sprinkling of plantain which is pleasing him greatly.

Bless Susie.

Lots of vibes for the pair of ya.

Welcome to the world of being a house bunny parent :)

Hope you are alright *hugs*

It happens to the best of us, and quite often because their mischievous lil' :censored:

That's why I like having my own house because I can ensure if the bunny goes on a mission impossible there's nothing to harm them.

I'm not feeling too good, and I have a pupil coming after school. :( The thought of him getting stuck behind the unit makes me feel quite sick ... and I need to eat my lunch because I have a high metabolism and can't skip meals without suffering for it. The tea will have to be very strong. On a brighter note, I will be posting a photo of Spenser in his tray later. :)

I'm not feeling too good, and I have a pupil coming after school. :( The thought of him getting stuck behind the unit makes me feel quite sick ... and I need to eat my lunch because I have a high metabolism and can't skip meals without suffering for it. The tea will have to be very strong. On a brighter note, I will be posting a photo of Spenser in his tray later. :)

Just for re-assurance Susie, if a bunny can get into a gap, they can get back out. You would not believe some of the places Biscuit has got to and got back out again if i told you :roll: (inclusive of behind a BUILT IN washing machine :roll:

Try and calm hun, hot tea, maybe a spoonful of sugar if you dont have it normally and more than usual if you do.

Look forward to the pictures :)

oh dear naughty spenser :no: I hope you have both recovered from your ordeal... They have a habit of going where theyre not meant to havent they :roll:

xx

Last edited:
Calming vibes all around. Try not to worry about the might haves, just think about the fact everything is ok.

Do you have a particular noise or anything you do when you want him to come? Maybe a noise he associates with food?

Calming vibes all around. Try not to worry about the might haves, just think about the fact everything is ok.

Do you have a particular noise or anything you do when you want him to come? Maybe a noise he associates with food?

I'm afraid not. :( He doesn't know his name, and only reacts negatively (ie. runs away) to any sound I have tried. He will come for a treat, but is very good at snatch-and-retreat. I've spent a lot of time on the floor with him, but no real progress yet. :(

I'm afraid not. :( He doesn't know his name, and only reacts negatively (ie. runs away) to any sound I have tried. He will come for a treat, but is very good at snatch-and-retreat. I've spent a lot of time on the floor with him, but no real progress yet. :(

It sounds like the habit needs to be broken because they are creatures of habits.

I wonder if you need to work on whenever you give him food, or bring him food, make the same noise, every time. He will come to associate that noise with food and good things. Don't try and catch him when you do that though.

If I make a particular noise here everyone gets as close to me as they can get, including the cat :roll: Means we don't have the need for any chasing, although it does happen occasionally.

I'm probably feeling a bit down about it, but I really can't imagine it working now. :cry: He is over a year old and has been with me 6 months. I don't think he actually dislikes me, and he definitely likes an audience, but very much on the hands-off principle. :roll: Plus, I did have to kind of drag him out of unsafe corners of upstairs at lunchtime and he understandably thumped his feet at me. Hopefully the teaching session I have to do very shortly will distract me and I'll then be able to adopt a more clear-headed approach.

I'm probably feeling a bit down about it, but I really can't imagine it working now. :cry: He is over a year old and has been with me 6 months. I don't think he actually dislikes me, and he definitely likes an audience, but very much on the hands-off principle. :roll: Plus, I did have to kind of drag him out of unsafe corners of upstairs at lunchtime and he understandably thumped his feet at me. Hopefully the teaching session I have to do very shortly will distract me and I'll then be able to adopt a more clear-headed approach.

I don't think time he has been with you, and his age is relevant, to be honest. What's more relevant is your attitude and perseverance.

I do agree though that chasing and this stressful situation will damage the trust he has in you. It does for any bunny, let alone a bunny who lacks trust anyway.

Sounds like you and Spenser have had quite a day of it, sending 'Calming' vibes for you both and I think a
grouphugg.gif
is in order :D

Spenser is fine, busy having his tea in the hutch, but I am not so good. :cry: Made the mistake of sending my parents a text, as they usually like updates on his mischief - they thought I let Spenser upstairs. :shock: I'm also upset because he has undoubtedly lost what little trust he had in me (not mighty much, but all the same... ). Apart from not having him neutered (another story) I've done all the right things, but he simply hates being touch and is less inclined even to accept gentle strokes. My poor boy, bless him. :love:

I'm sorry you're feeling so rough.

Try not to beat yourself up. Stuff like this happens. I had to bring a full wildie around to trust me and he does. We have a basic understanding. He will come over and eat food, and then if I move he will run away until he is sure I'm not going to pick him up, then he may come over. If I have to pick him up, invariably he won't 'talk' to me for a few days.

This was a bunny who ran in a blind panic whenever anyone went near him. He came to the RSPCA at roughly 7 months old and until then knew only a wild life.

You CAN win Spencer over and you CAN get basic trust from him, its just finding ways and means around his quirks, and you learning about yourself, and also about him.

You will win Spenser round, it just takes time. For now how about getting a baby gate fitted to the staircase. This will stop him running up there and having the stressful chasing.

You will win Spenser round, it just takes time. For now how about getting a baby gate fitted to the staircase. This will stop him running up there and having the stressful chasing.

If we shut all the doors upstairs it's OK - in fact probably the safest area in the house for him to be is the hallway. My main problem is winning his trust - especially after a setback today. I'm not sure whether I should just leave him be for a few days, or start actively trying to win him round from tomorrow. :? I can just see my parents' faces if I installed a baby gate.

Please dont beat yourself up,buns are very inquisitive,my hand reared wildy came in today and ate my lamp cable then had a bonkers five mins got behind the telly and munched through another cable,lucky my OH has electrician skills under his belt :lol::lol::lol::lol:I expect once your bunny gets out the hutch he just wants to have fun,just keep persevering xxx

please don't feel down about it. It takes a lot to convince a bunny to like being handled apart from the odd cuddle bunny. Hope you're ok, sending loads of vibes xx

Do you think I should keep actively trying to win his trust by having him into the house to play? I am really very upset about today. I just took him out a treat, and he rushed off to a corner of the hutch to eat it. :(

deffinatly :wave:
Im having to win Mae and Sebastian's trust again scince taking them to the vet's, Mae keeps trying to bite me (one up for her having no front teeth ;) ) which is new! But they will learn eventualy that Im not trying to hurt them just doing what is best :)

Back