• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Milly has an ear infection...

Spotty Bun

Warren Scout
Well it looks like poor Milly has an ear infection. :( I'd noticed she's been scratting at her ears quite a lot, and couldn't flop out for too long before having to get up for a scratch poor thing. So took her to the vets on Tuesday to see what could be wrong.

The vet looked in her mouth (as much as she could anyway!), felt round her face and neck, and listened round her middle with the stethoscope. she checked her ears and said they look moist with a bit of white showing (which I believe is rabbit pus, eww!) so likely to be the early signs of an infection. very pleased we've caught it early though!

So I now have the task of giving ear drops twice a day and Marbocyl once a day orally, bless her she's being ever so good and it hasnt affected her at all. she's still very hoppy, bouncy and generally up to mischief so fingers crossed this infection clears off soon! Back at the vets for a check up in 2 weeks so will let you's know how we get on...

:wave:

Quick update, we have found a way to make the antibiotics a bit more appealing! i've rubbed a bunny yoghurt/choc treat on the end of the syringe feeder and she licks it long enough to get the stuff in her mouth! :D

I hope milly is better soon! My rabbits have had chest infections before and i know how hard syringing medicine into a rabbits mouth is. Our vets said to mix ribena with it. Its perfectly safe for the rabbits and is a lot more appealing to the rabbit to. However, do not make it to strong as it can get a bit too sugary for the rabbit, but very dilute is absolutley fine!:)

Hope the treatment helps her make a good and quick recovery.

thank you, she hasnt changed her behaviour at all (well apart from scratching her ears) so am hoping it hasnt had chance to take hold. fingers crossed in 2 weeks she will get the all clear from the vet! :)

I hope milly is better soon! My rabbits have had chest infections before and i know how hard syringing medicine into a rabbits mouth is. Our vets said to mix ribena with it. Its perfectly safe for the rabbits and is a lot more appealing to the rabbit to. However, do not make it to strong as it can get a bit too sugary for the rabbit, but very dilute is absolutley fine!:)

well i never knew that! i may yet use your tip should milly get wise to the choc on the syringe trick! :lol:

Back