• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Am worried about Teddy and Dreamer

nursecroft

Wise Old Thumper
Ive just been out and Teddy has a snotty nose again :? him and Dreamer seem to get a snotty nose more often now and have both been to the vets several times this year and popped on antibiotics, they only have a snotty nose for a couple of days and it clears up but im worried its happening too often, they have both been prone to it since ive had them. Joey and Tinkerbell never get a snotty nose. Dreamer and Teddy's eyes are always fine and they seem happy in themselves and still charge around but have the odd sneezing fit. Going to book Teddy into the vets again... im worried its something like snuffles? :(

Do they coincide with each others noses?

I just wonder if it could be related to the hay or something?

Angel and Aky of mine always start their issues at the same time, and also recover at the same time and it is very definitely the hay, so we're thinking allergies with them. Might that be a possibility?

Oh no!! Hope all will be ok with these two gorgeous bunsters! Really hope it isn't snuffles sending lots of anti snotty nose vibes!

Do they coincide with each others noses?

I just wonder if it could be related to the hay or something?

Angel and Aky of mine always start their issues at the same time, and also recover at the same time and it is very definitely the hay, so we're thinking allergies with them. Might that be a possibility?

Not always, Teddy's has only just come on so will keep an eye on Dreamer today. I was thinking it maybe the hay, not sure what to do about that. Teddy didnt get fed hay before he came here and if i have just shaken new hay out it does make Dreamer sneeze. As i say they just get the runny nose, no other symptoms, although Teddy's is white in colour today, sometimes its clear.

How long was each course of abx they have had ?

Was it Baytril every time ?

Is the nasal discharge clear or creamy ?

How long was each course of abx they have had ?

Was it Baytril every time ?

Is the nasal discharge clear or creamy ?

Yes 5 days baytril eachtime.

Sometimes its clear but Teddy's nose looks like its white today, but its hard to tell because his fur is white he hasnt actually sneezed any up today.

baytril usually needs 6 weeks at the first signs of respiratory problems. if it doesn't work the first time and comes back again, a stronger med is needed.

this is exactly what happened with bisc and matt. baytril 'worked' each time, but it came back. when we went to the rabbit vet, he said all the time it looked like it had worked, it hadn't been. the infection was building up deep in the nose, which is why it comes back again and again. :(

my vet also never uses baytril, he said if he did though, he would start off with a 6 week course at the very first signs of any respiratory problem, as they get out of hand very quickly.

he usually starts off with penicillin injections for three months, then if that doesn't work, c+s tests, xrays, etc. metacam aswell, and nebulising.

i don't know of you have read about bisc and matt, but this was their situation and it became chronic very quickly. :( they are now on lifetime meds and nebulising. :(

true allergies in rabbits are not very common either.

i would get to the vet asap to be honest, especially if it has happened this many times. eventually baytril won't work because the bacteria is in the spores of the nose. the longer it is left there, the harder it is to treat. then you get in the situation of one medication only killing one or a few of the bacteria's, this lets the others multiply and you end up back at the start again. this happened to matt and he has had five lots of all the tests etc, because the bacteria changed so much.

the longer it is left, the more chance of damage aswell, scar tissue damage in the nostrils. my two have this aswell. :(

hope that helps. x

Ok crikey im worried now, Dreamer has always been prone to this since ive had him, he's been with me 2 1/2 years and it hasn't got any worse im just worried the amount of times he's had a snotty nose, sometimes ive had to book a vet appointment for the next day and its cleared up by the time i get him there? Teddy's the same. I'll see what the vet says.

Ok crikey im worried now, Dreamer has always been prone to this since ive had him, he's been with me 2 1/2 years and it hasn't got any worse im just worried the amount of times he's had a snotty nose, sometimes ive had to book a vet appointment for the next day and its cleared up by the time i get him there? Teddy's the same. I'll see what the vet says.

sorry, didn't mean to scare you. :oops: just wanted to let you know what can happen.

bisc and matt started with symptoms at a few months old, the normal vets always said it wasn't a problem. think they had baytril about 5 times, but they would never give more than a week at a time. :? this was from the end of 2006, until feb 2009! :shock: after this time, it didn't seem to work anymore and they got gradually alot worse. :(

i even requested all the tests and they said there was no point! :evil: this is when i went to the rabbit vet who told me what i have just told you.

i think it's worth speaking with the vet. they all seem to do things slightly differently, but this is what my vet has said and what we have been through.

even with all they have been through, and they have been very poorly, they are now stable on metacam and nebulised twice a day for 25mins each time, they have parvolex and hypertonic saline or normal saline, and when extra meds are needed, have gentamicin added aswell. this has been the best so far, but they have been on so many different things.

bisc was stable after the three months penicillin, matt became very chronic and is only just now stable, we started treatment in feb 09, so he has taken alot longer. depends on the individual i guess. x

eta: true allergies are rare, but matt was tried on an antihistamine which didn't work for him, but might for others.

dusty hay did make them both more snuffly aswell, they have DFH now.

it could be the dust causing it, but also could be causing a flare up of a respiratory problems. i think the amount of times it has come back though is worrying. i'm super cautious though now after bisc and matt.

yeh, i'd speak to the rabbit vet and take their advice. :wave:

eta2: my vet said he sees about 6 rabbits a vet with these types of problems! :shock: most respond well to the initial meds, like bisc did. some become chronic like matt did. think we got the worst case, so just like to let people know what could happen. :wave:

Last edited:
5 days of Baytril is unlikely to do much, although symptoms may appear to resolve.

Lots of short courses of Baytril are really just going to lead to abx resistance.

Hopefully the Vet will prescribe a longer course, possibly of a different abx this time xx

If you're concerned it's the hay could you do what I do? It doesn't get rid of all the dust but it cuts down on it quite a bit. I put a tarp on the ground and shake out the hay on it and then leave it there for half an hour for the breeze to help a bit more, then I take big handfuls and shake before putting into bags.

If you're concerned it's the hay could you do what I do? It doesn't get rid of all the dust but it cuts down on it quite a bit. I put a tarp on the ground and shake out the hay on it and then leave it there for half an hour for the breeze to help a bit more, then I take big handfuls and shake before putting into bags.

Ive tried steaming it but they wont eat it then :roll: in this wind the hay would be all across my garden... perhaps i could do it in the garage?

Ive tried steaming it but they wont eat it then :roll: in this wind the hay would be all across my garden... perhaps i could do it in the garage?

I've not tried steaming it, I can't get my head around that idea somehow. And I can't afford DFH all the time. Not with 4 :lol: Expect you're in the same boat. I mean if it was absolutely essential I'd find a way of course. But they don't like it as much as the bale anyway. :lol: Mine don't have expensive tastes :lol:

I guess the garage would work. I think the action of moving it around twice helps in itself. Actually I have a new bale I have to sort out too. I really ought to muster some energy from somewhere and get on. *sigh*

When you say snotty,what do you mean exactly?Dill has always had a wet nose.When at vets the other day there was little wet patches on my top where he was cuddling me.I do keep pointing it out to the vet but shes not worried.Lara do you think I should be worried?Have your two got more than a soggy nose?

Well by the time I got Teddy to the vets his nose was only slightly damp and his chest sounded fine :? I saw a new vet i havent met before so he's given me a weeks baytril and said to come back if Teddy's symptoms come back.

Think the vet thinks im nerotic :roll:

Apart from the recurring snotty noses, are they seemeing OK in themselves? I think you are very sensible in wanting to look into a problem that keeps coming back. Hope it's nothing serious though - they are such gorgeous buns. :love:

Back