• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ruby causing trouble...

Candiflare

Mama Doe
Haven't got an answer to this in bonding, so thought someone browsing here might know...

In case you don't know I have five bonded rabbits - 3 females and 2 males - all neutered, all spayed. Ruby used to be part of a 3 with the 2 boys and she used to be the bottom bun... very submissive, slightly bullied but generally fine. But now they are bonded into a 5, she has worked her way up to top bun and is becoming more and more vicious towards the others.

When I give them their pellets in the bowl, she pounces into the bowl and growls and they all back off. She is constantly boxing their faces and nipping their behinds. She's worse with the other does than the bucks, but it's all of them that she attacks.

Apart from this they are all quite nicely bonded and happy with each other, and I don't want to have a 4 and a 1!

Anybody any advice on how to deal with this?

Anyone any idea on how to handle this? Should she not be with them anymore?

Another thing is that I don't know if she's doing it just when I'm around. Sometimes I've caught her lying out with them all and then as soon as I come in she gets all aggressive.

Have you noticed if its just at feeding times? Do you feed them all from the same bowl or several?

I think sometimes us hoomins do come into the equation - its not the same at all, but for instance sometimes Timmy will groom me and lick my face etc. When he does this Pickle will come over and sniff around us and nudge us both and start chewing my sleeve - he doesn't like it and when Timmy stops he will shove his head under Timmy for some of his own grooming!

Sorry, this isnt very helpful, I hope you get some better advice soon.

Thanks Debster

It's at feeding times, where they have to be on the same level at the same time whereas away from feeding times, Ruby just stays away from the rest...

could you start feeding in several different bowls? so she hasnt got possession of the food bowl? Have you said NO when she is like that. Sooty responds to no - it might work... they are still fairly newly bonded arent they - maybe it will settle down

Back