• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dominant rabbit?

fordmax

New Kit
Hi guys, I'm looking for advice. I have two buns, a brother and sister and they are 6 months old. They have just been spayed and are now living together. They are used to each other as they had a huge playpen in the garden and one went in the playpen whilst the other had free run of the garden. They would 'visit' each other and lick, etc. I thought they would love being together but flora is being a little mean. They have a big double hutch they go in at night. I like them to be warm and snug, so i always deep-pile the bedding. However, Flora won't share! Every morning when i let them out, i am greeted by a 'bedding mountain' in the bottom layer of the hutch. During the night, she collects EVERY bit of bedding she can find and steals it. The poor boy bunny is left sleeping on the bare floor upstairs. As we are approaching winter i am more than a little concerned he's going to freeze if she keeps this up.
They love each other in the day, and are constantly checking on each other, but they can't sleep together nicely.

She will still be hormonal.

The behaviour you describe sounds like that of a Doe having a (hormone driven) pseudopregnancy. This should subside in a few more weeks now that she has been spayed.

You will need to be vigilant that she does not bully the Buck. Look out for signs of stress such as reduced poo size, reduced appetite or signs of a lot of chasing and fur pulling.

prehaps give him a blanket and a snuggle safe in addition to hay and or bring them indoors to be monitored while the weather is gettin colder? as jane said with the rest!!

Thanks guys! He does have his own blankey, but she stole that as well! lol She even steals and buries the (heavy) pottery bowl for their food.

Back