• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

i never knew that- scent glands

beccimarie

Mama Doe
i was reading my pet plan magazine and it says about dog anal glands then it says rabbits have scent glands too, near there gentiles.. never knew that :shock: i know thats the smelliest part though!

Last edited:
Aye, my Herbie's are smelly now and again, need to clean them at times as he has no front teeth and long hair near there! It is one rank rotten musty smell!

Aye, my Herbie's are smelly now and again, need to clean them at times as he has no front teeth and long hair near there! It is one rank rotten musty smell!

i never knew i had to clean it :shock: i wouldnt know where to start!

Most bunnies manage fine to clean them themselves, just cos my Herbs aint got front teeth he finds it harder than the usual bunny. I can tell when he needs 'help' as it is smelly!
I clean them with a cotton bud, really easy once you have done it once.

You don't need to clean them as routine. Checking them as routine is important, but they only need to be cleaned really if they bunny is stinky or there is a problem with them. Best not to mess with them unless necessary, to avoid irritation and such, because its a sensitive area.

Spenser has made it very clear from the start that this area is NONE OF MY BUSINESS. :no: He simply will not submit to handling. On a good day he will let me carry him to and from the hutch. I just hope he never has bother with his scent glands...

Spenser has made it very clear from the start that this area is NONE OF MY BUSINESS. :no: He simply will not submit to handling. On a good day he will let me carry him to and from the hutch. I just hope he never has bother with his scent glands...

:lol: spenser makes me laugh, i love him :lol:

i can smell gizmo sometimes even though he's been neutered 2 months after i had him, have to say it does pong :x :lol:

You don't need to clean them as routine. Checking them as routine is important, but they only need to be cleaned really if they bunny is stinky or there is a problem with them. Best not to mess with them unless necessary, to avoid irritation and such, because its a sensitive area.

thats good to know :lol: they are smelly but im guessing thats a normal smell :roll:

Back