• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Better life...

abi2047

Mama Doe
I have been thinking a lot lately, about Riley. I have been wondering whether to give him up to someone who has more time than me and to someone who can care for him a lot better than me. Am I being horrible to him? Not letting him have a bunny friend? Should I skip my homework and coursework so I can spend more time with him? Should I wake up earlier in the morning and go to bed later so I can spend more time with him? I just want to gain his trust. I want him to love me like I love him :( Should I give him to a family who can fuss and spoil him more than me? Should I give him to a person who can have him as an indoor bun instead of an outdoor bun, like me? Or should I just carry on and try to get a strong bond between us? I know I have only had Riley since June but if anything happened to him I would be heartbroken! I know it would be hard to give him up but if its for a better life for him then I am prepared to do so. Am I just being silly? Is Riley fine with the way he is living at the moment?

That's a lot of stuff flying round your head.

First off, its very clear you want what's best for Riley, and he's getting a lot more from you than from someone else.

However, a bunnies life can always improve (any bunny, not just Riley), be it more space, a friend, more toys, more stimulation, more company, anything and everything can be improved. So maybe that's what you need to work on, just improving little things along the way.

So vaccinations, neutering, more space, more company, things like that.

Do NOT let your education suffer for him though. Its not an either or, you can do both well, alongside each other. Like, if he was in a shed you could go and down your homework/coursework with him when appropriate.

You're new to him, and learning. You're doing ok :) You just need to keep working to improve his life, the same as everyone else does with their rabbits.

Simple answer is to get a rescue to bond him with a bunny friend, one he really loves. Then he wont need you as much etc.

If there is something I have missed about Riley or you then apologies:)

Simple answer is to get a rescue to bond him with a bunny friend, one he really loves. Then he wont need you as much etc.

If there is something I have missed about Riley or you then apologies:)

I am only 14 and I would be really nervous about bonding him with another rabbit. And what if he turns against the bunny friend in the future? It would also mean saving up for bigger accomodation :cry:

That's a lot of stuff flying round your head.

First off, its very clear you want what's best for Riley, and he's getting a lot more from you than from someone else.

However, a bunnies life can always improve (any bunny, not just Riley), be it more space, a friend, more toys, more stimulation, more company, anything and everything can be improved. So maybe that's what you need to work on, just improving little things along the way.

Do NOT let your education suffer for him though. Its not an either or, you can do both well, alongside each other. Like, if he was in a shed you could go and down your homework/coursework with him when appropriate.

You're new to him, and learning. You're doing ok :) You just need to keep working to improve his life, the same as everyone else does with their rabbits.

He is already neutured etc. He doesn't have a shed but I am saving up my pocket money and christmas money for one. He has toys, treats, free range of the garden from 7am - 10pm. He doesn't seem to play with his toys and he has never eaten a treat that I have offered him. :cry:

Personally I would get him neutered and get him a friend, if you can't do the bonding yourself there are plenty of rescues who can do it for you for a donation, plus your helping a bun in a rescue.

With regard to spending time with him, if you can get up a bit earlier do it, theres no better wake up than a bunny hug in a the morning. Don't leave your coursework tho, you'll live to regret that!

I know it's really tough having pets and working or at college, I've had buns since I was 10, but fortunately for me my mum loved them too and when I wasn't around I know they were just as spoilt. Is there anyone you live with that can help with Riley so you don't feel so bad?

That makes it harder:( Have you got them to come on here and ask questions to other people who feel the same as you do about buns?

Maybe someone with a better way with words than me, could teach them that buns need a friend?

That makes it harder:( Have you got them to come on here and ask questions to other people who feel the same as you do about buns?

Maybe someone with a better way with words than me, could teach them that buns need a friend?

Abi lives near me and I've offered to help her if she wants it and would also be willing to teach her parents if they wanted, but can only do so if they want to.

Personally I would get him neutered and get him a friend, if you can't do the bonding yourself there are plenty of rescues who can do it for you for a donation, plus your helping a bun in a rescue.

With regard to spending time with him, if you can get up a bit earlier do it, theres no better wake up than a bunny hug in a the morning. Don't leave your coursework tho, you'll live to regret that!

I know it's really tough having pets and working or at college, I've had buns since I was 10, but fortunately for me my mum loved them too and when I wasn't around I know they were just as spoilt. Is there anyone you live with that can help with Riley so you don't feel so bad?

My little brother likes giving Riley some head and nose rubs but like me he has to go to school. Riley doesn't like cuddles, only head and nose rubs. He is outside so no-one else gives him attention. In the summer the back door used to be open all day and when Riley free ranged he would come into the dining room whilst my mum was on the laptop and she would give him some attention when he sat next her but now its winter the back door is no longer open hours on end. I would have to wait until after christmas to get him a bunny friend as I would have to save up my christmas money, and pocket money to buy him a shed and aviary which would be big enough for the both of them.

I don't anyone could persuade her as it took a year of begging her to let me have a rabbit! :lol:

Abi lives near me and I've offered to help her if she wants it and would also be willing to teach her parents if they wanted, but can only do so if they want to.

Blooming heck:shock: That is a huge opportunity for you abi2047:shock: Sky-o knows tones about rabbits, I would leap at the chance:thumb:

M
Sky-O That's a lot of stuff flying round your head.

You're new to him, and learning. You're doing ok You just need to keep working to improve his life, the same as everyone else does with their rabbits.
agree ^ ^:D

aaah bless you...well - spending time ajust being there gains alot of trust...but really I think if you are worrying about him then a little bunny friend would possibly help. Of course bigger accomadatoin etc will be needed...but if your folks dont mind you getting a shed - which it appears they dont...then ask them for one perhaps before christmas so you can set it up...explain to them how you feel bad about the time you have to spend with Riley & that if you get a shed setup & Riley a friend then at least you can sit there doing your home work & also when youre not about bunny has a friend to play with & interact with.

Id not worry too much about them falling out - my 2 girls sometimes have a scuffle and then a few days later are lounging all over each other. They also spend time apart but the fact that they do have each other is better for my piece of mind than knowing they are by themselves...naturally they are very social creatures.

Of course its obvious you want whats best for Riley....and of course the initial cost of getting another bunny from a rescue has to be considered...but perhaps Riley does need a friend of his own kind...and a rescue will be able to help you find a bunny thats right for Riley. I find that sitting reading my book with the buns & letting them realise Im not a scarey thing to have about helps gain their trust. Also by laying down on the floor...

If you get another bun - perhaps you can get one thats easy to handle....then maybe Riley will learn that its ok too...

I hope you decide whats right for you both xxx:D

Thanks for the offer but Riley is already booked in for nail clipping and a health check. My mum wouldn't be able to give him attention as Riley doesn't trust anyone, he barely trusts me :cry: I have to wrestle him when I need to bring him indoors so I can check him over. I hate putting him through stress :cry: My mum wouldn't want to sit in the garden with him stroking him in the freezing cold, she is a busy woman during the day aswell :( x

Thanks for the offer but Riley is already booked in for nail clipping and a health check. My mum wouldn't be able to give him attention as Riley doesn't trust anyone, he barely trusts me :cry: I have to wrestle him when I need to bring him indoors so I can check him over. I hate putting him through stress :cry: My mum wouldn't want to sit in the garden with him stroking him in the freezing cold, she is a busy woman during the day aswell :( x

Wel done :)

My offer extends for anything bunny related though. So if at ay time you change your mind and want to take me up on it, or you mum does, then that's cool.

agree ^ ^:D

aaah bless you...well - spending time ajust being there gains alot of trust...but really I think if you are worrying about him then a little bunny friend would possibly help. Of course bigger accomadatoin etc will be needed...but if your folks dont mind you getting a shed - which it appears they dont...then ask them for one perhaps before christmas so you can set it up...explain to them how you feel bad about the time you have to spend with Riley & that if you get a shed setup & Riley a friend then at least you can sit there doing your home work & also when youre not about bunny has a friend to play with & interact with.

Id not worry too much about them falling out - my 2 girls sometimes have a scuffle and then a few days later are lounging all over each other. They also spend time apart but the fact that they do have each other is better for my piece of mind than knowing they are by themselves...naturally they are very social creatures.

Of course its obvious you want whats best for Riley....and of course the initial cost of getting another bunny from a rescue has to be considered...but perhaps Riley does need a friend of his own kind...and a rescue will be able to help you find a bunny thats right for Riley. I find that sitting reading my book with the buns & letting them realise Im not a scarey thing to have about helps gain their trust. Also by laying down on the floor...

If you get another bun - perhaps you can get one thats easy to handle....then maybe Riley will learn that its ok too...

I hope you decide whats right for you both xxx:D

Mum wouldn't be able to help with the costs of the shed as she doesn't have a job, I pay for everything of Riley's out of my own pocket. I have already showed my mum what shed I want for christmas and all my family is giving me money instead of presents. I would love a bunny friend for Riley! But its not me that makes the decisions in the house its my mum, bearing in mind that it would all come out of my own pocket she would most likely let me get another rabbit. Today I had to spend my pocket money on veg and food for Riley instead of buying something for myself. It is going to take a long time to save up for a shed and an aviary but because it is for Riley then I am prepared to spend my money on him as it is for his benefit :D

Wel done :)

My offer extends for anything bunny related though. So if at ay time you change your mind and want to take me up on it, or you mum does, then that's cool.

Thankyou so much :) If I need any advice, or need you to show me how to do something then I will pop you a PM :)

:shock::love:Goodness me- what an opportunity - BUT I can undertsand that all parties will need to want to get involved. So Abi- if it took you a year to convinve mum to let you get a rabbit...do you now find the responsibility of looking after it too much? As much as you adore Riley..is it all what you expected it to be?

Perhaps your mum might feel that she will be left to look after Riley & any other pets if oyu go to college in a couple of years etc...
Its a very difficult time in your life to be able to commit to something as a pet as they live so long & mums know they will generally have to take over the care once oyu have gone...
On the other hand if you feel that you can cope - you are just worried about company for Riley - then aproaching your mum with perhaps some leaflets on rabbits care - offical ones & the amount of what you have managed to save towards the shed/aviary & the cost involved written down...then maybe she will realise your commitment to Riley & his well-being. But of course you will need to realise that mum will still be worried baout having to look after the buns if you are not around & this need to be discussed & you both need to feel ok with the decisions. I know its so hard to talk to mums sometimes...so perhaps write it all down - work out what you feel is best & the reasons why & then have a chat with her....you never know she may just be able to help your worries & suggest some things...

Holding thumbs for you!:D Hope this helps....:?

My little brother likes giving Riley some head and nose rubs but like me he has to go to school. Riley doesn't like cuddles, only head and nose rubs. He is outside so no-one else gives him attention. In the summer the back door used to be open all day and when Riley free ranged he would come into the dining room whilst my mum was on the laptop and she would give him some attention when he sat next her but now its winter the back door is no longer open hours on end. I would have to wait until after christmas to get him a bunny friend as I would have to save up my christmas money, and pocket money to buy him a shed and aviary which would be big enough for the both of them.

Sounds like a very mature head on young shoulders! You've obviously got plans.

From reading your posts on this thread it sounds like Riley does trust you, he lets you and your brother give him nose rubs, and he hops straight into the house, thats a confident happy bunny in my opinion! I wouldn't worry about him not letting you pick him up much, thats just a rabbit thing, they generally don't like being picked up.

Back