• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

H again

nikitanain

Warren Scout
Some of you may remember me, I had 2 flemish Giants, Sasha and Lenny.. Sasha and Lenny died of Mites shortly after I got them and I got scabies from them.. I had sworn never to get rabbits again but I got a SOS call today stating that someone has 2 male baby rabbits and if he could not find a home for them then he would be giving them to the stray dogs to eat... Needless to say, I got the baby rabbits home, they are living in a 30x15x15 cage right now but they will be shifted to a MUCH bigger home in a week... The 30x15x15 cage was the best I could do at such a short notice since I picked up the rabbits 1 hour after I got the phone call...

My dad is not thrilled about the new rabbits, some things never change.. Mum is kind of co operating, hence am thankful..

Here are some pics, no names yet, one is slightly bigger than the other... An id will be great...

DSCN0706.jpg

DSCN0705.jpg

DSCN0704.jpg

Gosh...they don't look more than about 4 weeks!

Well done for saving them from a horrendous death!

Keep them warm in loads of hay! :love: Don't worry about the cage size. It's best that they're out of there! :(

Well done for saving their little lives! They do look tiny, lots of hay is good advice and maybe a cardboard box or something they can hide away in. Can't really help with the breeds, not much good at that!

Really sorry to hear about what happened to Sasha and Lenny, that must have been a horrible experience :(

Thanks Debster and Teddy's mum :)

They are really young, I hate the idea of buns being separated from their mums so soon..I shall get hay in the morning, its 7:40 pm here.. I will also be picking up lots of toys for them soon.. They are brave lil fellas, they came out of the yellow hidey house to look at me and they sat out for an hour.. When my dogs started barking they ran back inside.. I picked one up just to have a look at him, he wasnt pleased but he allowed me to inspect him..

One question, I have a hutch but I am not sure if its usable since the previous rabbits that were in it had mites.. Can I spray the cage with mosquito spray, wash it well and then use it for these rabbits? I dont have bleach nor am I comfortable using it (I burned my hand with bleach when I was 7 and since then am terrified of bleach or acids)

I will be giving them a cardboard box in a short while, they have a yellow hideout, attached is a pic...
hutch006.jpg

Last edited:
Lucky buns to be rescued. Can't believe Katie Prices IVF treatment is news in India, is there anywhere she doesn't get?!

Thanks Debster and Teddy's mum :)

They are really young, I hate the idea of buns being separated from their mums so soon..I shall get hay in the morning, its 7:40 pm here.. I will also be picking up lots of toys for them soon.. They are brave lil fellas, they came out of the yellow hidey house to look at me and they sat out for an hour.. When my dogs started barking they ran back inside.. I picked one up just to have a look at him, he wasnt pleased but he allowed me to inspect him..

One question, I have a hutch but I am not sure if its usable since the previous rabbits that were in it had mites.. Can I spray the cage with mosquito spray, wash it well and then use it for these rabbits? I dont have bleach nor am I comfortable using it (I burned my hand with bleach when I was 7 and since then am terrified of bleach or acids)

I will be giving them a cardboard box in a short while, they have a yellow hideout, attached is a pic...
hutch006.jpg

I'm not sure that's big enough. What are it's dimensions?

I know you're in India, but lots of people here have 4ft dog crates with a run attached.

The wire on the floor isn't very good for their feet, so putting some carpet or lino offcuts over the wire will be better for their feet.

As you can't get any hay until tomorrow I'd be tempted to suggest cutting some grass (but am not sure as they're very young.)
I'd just be very concerned about them not eating for such a long time.

Please keep us informed how they're doing! They're lucky little bunsters! :love::love:

Thanks all... I dint understand the meaning of this "Can't believe Katie Prices IVF treatment is news in India, is there anywhere she doesn't get?! "

The current cage they are in is 30x15x15 and it has a plastic tub as a base.. I shall upload a pic of their setup soon...The pic of the yellow hidey was taken in another cage, one that is currently not being used.. As I mentioned I will be getting a much bigger hutch in 1 week, this cage is only temporary...

I gave the bunnies a little bit of carrot, a piece of tomato and some romaine lettuce last night.. I will be leaving now to pick up hay..

Edit: Here is a pic of the current cage...
DSCN0707.jpg

Last edited:
Hey :wave:

Well done for rescuing those little bunsters. They look so young :(

Just as a note, bunnies shouldn't really have fresh veg/fruit until approximately 12 weeks, as their guts are not really capable of dealing with it as they are still very much adjusting to real foods. Pellets and Hay are all they should really have, but i just dont know what kind of feeds you can get in india, i just wanted to point this out :)

Lots and lots of hay and water and some pellets if possible i think will go a long way to helping them!

Gray

I gave the bunnies a little bit of carrot, a piece of tomato and some romaine lettuce last night.. I will be leaving now to pick up hay..

Thanks Willowholly and GrahamL :)

I have noted what you have said and I shall not give them fruits, veggies any more, I have got the hay and they are chomping on it as we speak.. I do have sunseed pellets with me and I shall use these pellets from now on, I dint give them the pellets as yet because I thought that they were too young to eat pellets...

The previous owner would give them only cabbage leaves...

P.S - I named the two, Benny and Milo :)

Last edited:
Back