PDA

View Full Version : Dead Beetles in Hay!

Bitzy
03-11-2010, 12:08 PM
:wave:

Been meaning to post about this for a while now but keep forgetting :roll: (except for when I'm actually handling the hay)!

I keep finding dead beetles in the bale of hay I'm using at the moment ....... I'm about halfway through it and so far have found about 10!! :shock:

Could this contaminate the hay in some way or would you just fish them out and carry on feeding it to your buns?? :?

I've bought from this current supplier a few times but this is the first time I've had a problem!!

Lillian
03-11-2010, 03:15 PM
I've found the odd dead beetle before.. One time had half a dead pigeon in a bale of hay :shock:

When i've found beetles i've just thrown them away and continued using the hay, but i'm not saying that's what you should do.

Bitzy
03-11-2010, 07:31 PM
Half a dead pigeon?? :shock: OMG!!! :shock:

Bet that was a delightful find!!! (not)

bunny babe
03-11-2010, 07:33 PM
I would bin the hay and not take any chances.

Grace65
03-11-2010, 07:37 PM
How long have you had the hay? i'd ring who ever sold it you and ask for a replacement. xx

Bitzy
03-11-2010, 07:41 PM
How long have you had the hay? i'd ring who ever sold it you and ask for a replacement. xx

Had it about a month now ..... I didn't cut the strings properly so could only get small handfuls out at first (that made for great arm exercise when filling the litter tray and mangers - lol) but now I've cut it and can get big chunks out at a time, I'm finding them all over the place!! :shock:

The last few bales I've had from there have been fab and I just wondered if it was a one off problem bale that had happened to include an entire beetle population! lol

Grace65
03-11-2010, 07:46 PM
Had it about a month now ..... I didn't cut the strings properly so could only get small handfuls out at first (that made for great arm exercise when filling the litter tray and mangers - lol) but now I've cut it and can get big chunks out at a time, I'm finding them all over the place!! :shock:

The last few bales I've had from there have been fab and I just wondered if it was a one off problem bale that had happened to include an entire beetle population! lol

I'd def mention it to whoever sold it to you, thats revolting. xxx