• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dead Beetles in Hay!

Bitzy

Mama Doe
:wave:

Been meaning to post about this for a while now but keep forgetting :roll: (except for when I'm actually handling the hay)!

I keep finding dead beetles in the bale of hay I'm using at the moment ....... I'm about halfway through it and so far have found about 10!! :shock:

Could this contaminate the hay in some way or would you just fish them out and carry on feeding it to your buns?? :?

I've bought from this current supplier a few times but this is the first time I've had a problem!!

I've found the odd dead beetle before.. One time had half a dead pigeon in a bale of hay :shock:

When i've found beetles i've just thrown them away and continued using the hay, but i'm not saying that's what you should do.

How long have you had the hay? i'd ring who ever sold it you and ask for a replacement. xx

Had it about a month now ..... I didn't cut the strings properly so could only get small handfuls out at first (that made for great arm exercise when filling the litter tray and mangers - lol) but now I've cut it and can get big chunks out at a time, I'm finding them all over the place!! :shock:

The last few bales I've had from there have been fab and I just wondered if it was a one off problem bale that had happened to include an entire beetle population! lol

Had it about a month now ..... I didn't cut the strings properly so could only get small handfuls out at first (that made for great arm exercise when filling the litter tray and mangers - lol) but now I've cut it and can get big chunks out at a time, I'm finding them all over the place!! :shock:

The last few bales I've had from there have been fab and I just wondered if it was a one off problem bale that had happened to include an entire beetle population! lol

I'd def mention it to whoever sold it to you, thats revolting. xxx

Back