• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ruby is moulting and balding...

Candiflare

Mama Doe
I brought Ruby in for her once weekly furminating last night and started plucking away at her feet and her backside. All the fur came out easily, and she likes it because she tooth purrs when I do it and she sticks her bum in my face.

Anyway... I kept going and going and more fur was coming out, but when I looked properly she has pink bald patches on her bum :cry::cry::cry::cry:

What have I done to her? I don't understand, this is definitely moulting and it's all coming out so easily and I'm getting it out because I don't want her or any of the other buns to be eating it. Am I doing something wrong?

Here's a pic of how much came out last night:

IMG00003-20101103-0005.jpg

Sometimes the fur is ready to come out before the new fur has started to grow. I would just be careful when grooming that you are grooming out only fur that has fur regrowth underneath. I've accidently given some of mine bald patches around the edges of the fur regrowth and it always grows back. I would't worry unduly unless the skin doesn't look healthy, and you are concerned there may be another reason for the balding.

I wouldn't be worried about a few bald patches, so long as they're not red and sore looking.

I don't brush mine, but pluck them when they need it, and they sometimes get bald patches. Being indoor buns it's no big deal, but maybe outdoor buns would get a bit chilly if plucked too much.

Oh, thanks guys... I thought it must've been hurting her or something and I had been a bit obsessive!

The skin looks fine... just bald!

Back