• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Prince has been sneezing since last night

Clarisse

Young Bun
Hello all.

(sigh) Problems seems not to leave my bunnies in peace. I observed Prince sneezing last night.. he ate hay then afterwards, he sneezes multiple times consecutively..then he stops, then after sometime, sneezes again..

Today, i gave them hay again, and he does the same thing.. Multiple sneezing.. I am observing if he seems to discharge some mucos from the nose or if he seems to be have runny nose, but he seems okay..and his appetite hadnt change, he still eats a lot..whatever you give him he eats it..:lol:

Is there something wrong with Prince? oh im worried, two of them are now having health changes,... or am I just paranoid..? :?

Hi Clarisse :)

Is the hay you are giving him dusty at all? Bunnies can have sensitive noses and dusty hay can make them sneeze.

If it coincides with you adding in fresh hay, this is fairly likely i would think?

Was there any discharge? As dusty hay would cause 'dry sneezing' i would suspect, much like us with a tickly nose if you like.

If there was discharge, it would suggest more of an infection. I have a bunny with a similar issue where she sneezes and has clear discharge, not white yukky discharge and is currently on anti-biotics.

Not having much luck at the moment are you?

Lots of vibes for all your bunnies :)

Hi Clarisse :)

Is the hay you are giving him dusty at all? Bunnies can have sensitive noses and dusty hay can make them sneeze.

If it coincides with you adding in fresh hay, this is fairly likely i would think?

Was there any discharge? As dusty hay would cause 'dry sneezing' i would suspect, much like us with a tickly nose if you like.

If there was discharge, it would suggest more of an infection. I have a bunny with a similar issue where she sneezes and has clear discharge, not white yukky discharge and is currently on anti-biotics.

Not having much luck at the moment are you?

Lots of vibes for all your bunnies :)

I agree, by the sounds of it; it sounds like it happens when ou feed him hay. I'd probably change the hay to see if the sneezing stops. The dust particals may be too fine to see, so maybe just invest in some Oxbow hay or something?

Mine have sneezing fits sometimes - probably just some dust up his nose.

Try putting the hay in when Prince isn't in his house?

Hi there, thanks to all of you for the advice.. Initially, i thought that the dust make him sneeze..but it was continues until this morning.And ive been giving him hay for 2 weeks now, and this is the only time that this happened.I search the internet for some possible symptoms that accompanies the sneezing. I noticed that there is a clear discharge, as if he just drank water from the bowl (which is very unlikely because they drink from a water bottle) and i also noticed that he is kinda getting weak. He eats pretty much okay, but in the afternoon i noticed he is getting weaker. So I brought him to the vet after work. He was prescribed with antibiotic. I am not really sure if the vet is a rabbit expert. So to make sure he is doing the right thing, i read the indications and contraindications on the medicine that he prescribed. I already gave the first dose of antibiotic.. he prescribed to give it twice a day. Prince seems to recover now, though there are still occasional sneezing.. Right now he eats a lot, and drinks a lot too...But I am still worried about him though..It appears to me that he is not really feeling well. Right at this moment, he is here beside me wrapped in a towel. Oh this poor little thing needs a warm caring from his bunny mommy.. thanks to all your advice and vibes..I will keep you posted about his progress..:rabbit2:

IMG_0891-1.gif

I agree, by the sounds of it; it sounds like it happens when ou feed him hay. I'd probably change the hay to see if the sneezing stops. The dust particals may be too fine to see, so maybe just invest in some Oxbow hay or something?

I've been giving him the same hay for two weeks now, and this is the only time that this happened..I'd like to think though that it is just because of the hay, but when i saw him feeling weak and the sneezing continues, I decided to bring him to the vet..

Out of interest, what AntiBiotic has your vet prescribed? Is it Baytril?

uhmm ...no. it says on the label Brand Name: Papi Scour..
this is what it says in the label.. The vet prescribed it.
INDICATION: This medication is a combination of tree antibiotics use to treat a wide variety of bacterial infections (e.g. respiratory,intestinal infections and bacterial diarrhea), restoring electrolytes loss, reducing intestinal mobility and elimination of bacterial toxins in dogs, cats and other small animals..

btw, where should i purchased Baytril? maybe i can suggest that to my vet if this things happen again.Im not really sure if it is available here in my location.

Last edited:
Back