• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Myxi & VHD vaccination while on antibiotics - Update, she got her vaccine.

Kermit

Wise Old Thumper
As title, i will ask my vets, but wondered your opinions. My Inca is on long term antibiotics (off and on) for a while now.

She had her myxi & VHD vac when i got her last september, she got EC in february and was too ill for the vaccine, she got better enoughto get her VHD about 6 months ago now. Then she was on Metacam and abx. So now she is down to just being on injectible penicillin, this time for her foot.

Would it be ok to finally get her the two vaccines again now, or would the fact that she is still on abx mean she cant?

Also, is there less risk of myxi in the colder weather or is it still the same throughout the year?

Last edited:
Frankie didn't have his when he was on antibiotics they said he needed to be totally better. I'm not much help really sorry.

Ditto honeys only had hers on the last two weeks as they wouldn't do her for a year due to antibiotics and other meds

Ditto honeys only had hers on the last two weeks as they wouldn't do her for a year due to antibiotics and other meds

Thought this would be the case, but wanted to ask others experiences to check. Just a worry when they aint had them!

I think you have to talk to your vet, they know a lot more than us.

I am intending on, (but then i dont always think the vets know more than some folk on here) i was just wanting other peoples experiences too.

bisc and matt have always had their vaccs, and are both on long term meds, metacam, nebuliser etc. they have been on lots of different meds continuously since feb 09, and have their vaccs in march and sept, so can't remember exactly what they were on at the time.. i know from feb 09 - may 09 they were both on pencillin injections and had both vaccines in the march. this march though, instead of leaving two weeks between the vaccines, we left about a month i think, maybe longer. all this is always on the vets advice :wave:

bisc and matt have always had their vaccs, and are both on long term meds, metacam, nebuliser etc. they have been on lots of different meds continuously since feb 09, and have their vaccs in march and sept, so can't remember exactly what they were on at the time.. i know from feb 09 - may 09 they were both on pencillin injections and had both vaccines in the march. this march though, instead of leaving two weeks between the vaccines, we left about a month i think, maybe longer. all this is always on the vets advice :wave:

Thanks, i am going to book them in the vets and see, Herbie can deffo get his anyways then we can decide with Inca.

ETA: Just booked them in for friday afternoon :)

Last edited:
My vet wont jab if on anti biotics.Bunny needs to be well and fit...the same was said about my puss Gus when he had anti bs for his eye.
My Lily has lots of probs and unless shes fit and off anti bs, no vaccs will be given.She has cronic snuffles and has long term abs.
Why is your bun on long term anti bs??

Why is your bun on long term anti bs??

My wee Inca is deformed at her back end / woman bits and legs. She has no tail, it is like her tail bone is tucked up underneath inside her and presses on her woman bits :(. From time to time she gets all sorts of issues like sore underneath, sore feet and toes (as she sometimes pees on them, or catches them in random places).

This is Inca http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=187659&highlight=chemical

I think i am getting her under control, take her off the meds, then something else different happens, it really is amazing that she is here.

To add to all that, she had EC at the start of this year and that took alot out of her.

She is the most affectionate wee girl ever

I have made an appt at the vets for the two of them anyways, best to check :)

Oh my God!! Shes gorgous!!!! Whatever happened to the poor girlie!!!! **shakes head in despair**
(My Lily has Kyphosis of the spine, along with her brother.so her back end is prone too).

Oh my God!! Shes gorgous!!!! Whatever happened to the poor girlie!!!! **shakes head in despair**
(My Lily has Kyphosis of the spine, along with her brother.so her back end is prone too).

When she had EC she got xrays and they said that her spine was deformed, but that was the least of her worries at the time!! Her spine does look ever so slightly curved, but she manages just fine for now. Will be straight back on the Metacam if she seems to be in any sort of stress with it all! Just keen to keep her off it as she has managed to put on a wee bit of weight since she is off it.

Both Inca & Herbie got their Myxi vaccine today. :)

Vet was happy with her generally so said she would be fine, she has been neither up nor down since getting it :)

Back