• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spay - when to panic?!!

alio71

Mama Doe
Ok so I am already :lol: Took Blue to be spayed today and just collected her. The vets say she has been very sluggish to come round but is looking fine now. She looks so spaced out though! Looking at her there is no way she will be eating anytime soon. So how long should I leave it before I syringe feed her a bit? She has had metacam, a gut stimulant, sub cut fluids so can I leave her tonight and if she is still not eating in the morning give her some then?

Any info or experiences welcome, thanks

tempt her with strong smelling foods like corriander, parsley, carrots, dandilions, mashed pellets in warm water, baby food (fruit ones only) also keep her warm this is vital as they cant regulate temperature for 24 hours, i would give her 24hours before really worrying but she should have nibbled a bit and poo/weed by morning time. give her things in front of her as she may not feel like moving, also giving her a bowl as well as a bttle of water, i found a tiny bit of apple juice in the water and warm water in a bowl to get mine drinking after a spay xx

Do you know what time she was spayed ?

Is she indoors now and on a heatpad ?

About midday. She is indoors on a duvet at the mo. I don't have a heatpad.

Thanks Bunlover I will get her a water bowl now and mash her some pellets, she has a buffet of different foods to tempt in front of her at the moment.

We just had our girl spayed a couple of weeks ago and she too was taking a while to shake the grog from the general anaesthetic. She was pretty lethargic and listless until the next afternoon and then she started to nibble and started passing some poos. Once she started eating then she really picked up and was spritely by the next morning. We did syringe feed her the second day just because we too were panicking but only needed to do it the once and probably more to ease our minds than because she really needed it.

I spoke to a vet yesterday as my Molly has to be spayed - he said they dont let the bunnies go home until they have eaten and keep them in overnight under the care of the nurses if necessary. Im just wondering why Blue was allowed to come home

Thanks thebuz that's reassuring to know.

VickyL, my vets don't have an overnight facility (well they have to go elsewhere if they are staying) I think because she has had all the drugs she can etc they send them home to be in familiar surroundings. I don't think I have known a bun stay overnight for a spay, does that cost more? (not that that makes any difference, just curious). I hope your Molly gets on ok :)

sorry if i sounded negative and thanks for your good wishes - im so nervous about getting molly spayed although i know it is best for her. Hope Blue feels better soon.

and sorry im not sure if it will cost more - vet quoted me £59 plus another £6 if antibiotics are required but didnt mention the overnight stay cost (although chances are there will be a charge)

You didn't sound negative hun, I was just wondering why they thought it best for her to stay in. I would have thought she would be more likely to eat at home with you? Either way it's such a worry! Blue is now in my bedroom and I'm sure I just saw her nomming some hay so fingers crossed :)

ETA if that includes an overnight stay that would be excellent.

After Chloe's spay she wouldn't eat until about 2am when she nibbled on some rocket - she was very, very groggy after her anaesthetic. She had picked up a bit by the next day :) Hope Blue is feeling much better now.

Thanks thebuz that's reassuring to know.

VickyL, my vets don't have an overnight facility (well they have to go elsewhere if they are staying) I think because she has had all the drugs she can etc they send them home to be in familiar surroundings. I don't think I have known a bun stay overnight for a spay, does that cost more? (not that that makes any difference, just curious). I hope your Molly gets on ok :)

:wave: Id make sure bun is warm & has some fresh or dried herbs to eat...whichever you normally feed her...I think tasty familiar food is good to get them eating again. Do make sure though that she can get away from the hotwater bottle if she feels too warm...also fresh water in a bowl so she doesnt have to stretch up to drink...

My buns stayed in over night after their spays. Arrabella had a slight problem...& Indiana stayed for comfort. It did not cost me any more - the spay cost given was all inclusive of any problems like staying over ight & also included pain killer for 5 days post spay, and the 3 & 10 day post op checks.
Sometimes a little banana or apple gets them eating again...though not too much...my girls rested alot when they were home...:D

Back