• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Reporting a vet for neglect? How?

tanya_306

Alpha Buck
I am really concerned about the death of Peter and think that he would not have died if the vet had fed him. :(

Due to work, my sister had to drop Peter off at the vets. She told them he needed to be fed food for his op and I also sent a long detailed letter saying he needs food.

He didn;' have the op until 2:45pm but had to be dropped off at 9am. I fed him before he went and then that was it.

When I asked the vet what food Peter had been given, he replied, what food is that?

When I said did you feed him? The vet replied, Of course that is standard procedure. (but couldn't give any details).

SO, I rang and asked to speak to the vet nurse today... I asked her what had he been fed ..... hay, excel pellets and water she said!

Hay? I questioned. He never ate that when he was well so how did he eat it for you?

Oh no, thats just what we gave him.

I then reminded her that he couldn't eat and it was very clearly stated in the letter I had sent.

I then said did you feed him critical care?

She said yes, but not much because the vet didn't want to obstruct his airways and have food stuck in his cheeks.

She said a syringe full - how big a syringe I asked.

Ummmm, 5ml was the response.

I then asked if he was given any water and she said it was in with his food. :roll:

He was in the vets for nearly 6 hours and all they say they gave him is 5ml. His fur was far too clean for them to have given him food.

I am really annoyed and think my rabbit died due to NEGLECT.

How can I report them? I feel awful and don't want someone elses poor bunny having to go through what mine has.

Thanks in advance

Tanya

Sorry you didn't get a reply before. The best option is to write formally to the practice manager and if the response doesn't satisfy yo then you can complain to the RCVS.

Thank you.

We sent a letter to the practise manager for them to reply and not answer any of our questions. They still sent us the huge bill and left voice mail messages! We then responded to their letter again and they ignored it. We haven't heard from them since - and we haven't paid the bill. I have not used that surgery since and I warn people about them. ;)

Thank you.

We sent a letter to the practise manager for them to reply and not answer any of our questions. They still sent us the huge bill and left voice mail messages! We then responded to their letter again and they ignored it. We haven't heard from them since - and we haven't paid the bill. I have not used that surgery since and I warn people about them. ;)

I wrote a letter of complaint to the manager of the emergency vets that my usual practice uses out of hours. I took Olly there at 1am last November as he couldn't stand up without falling over, he was totally unbalanced and I was terrified that he had EC like my previous bunny. When we got there he had improved a bit and wasn't falling over although still looked unsteady. The vet seemed totally uninterested and didn't even give him a proper examination, just said he looks ok now :shock: :evil: I was horrified, he wasn't going to give us anything for him but I insisted on some panacur to take home. It cost us £88 to be told Olly was fine when I absolutely knew he wasn't :(

We took him to our normal vet the next day who examined him properly, gave him antibiotics in case of ear infection and some metacam. After a day or two Olly started to improve, no thanks to the first idiot vet :(
So I wrote all this in my complaint letter, and got a reply saying that the vet spent 40 mins examining olly and found nothing wrong :shock: I couldn't believe it. He barely examined him at all, never mind for 40 mins!! All he did was weigh him and watch him hop about :evil: i haven't done anything since but it still infuriates me to think about it, and I'll never go there again. Now if we have to go out of hours I go somewhere else. Good luck complaining!!

A year ago my old vet said to put Twinkle to sleep as her tooth roots were too bad. After seeing a new vet she was treated for statis and recovered well. She is still with us today no thanks to my first incompetent vet. I did complain but they said they were in the right even though the proof they were wrong is the fact she is well and happy today!!

Back