• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Going to foster a couple of small furries UD the gerbil is here

Nicola1

Wise Old Thumper
Since a few of my hammies have gone to the bridge recently :cry: I have lots of spare cages but I didn't want to go through getting so emotionally attached again to a pet that passes on so quickly. So I emailed the local RSPCA and asked if she wanted the cages or if she wanted a fosterer. She didn't have any space for the cages so I'm going to be fostering a hamster (Chinese Dwarf I think) and a gerbil :)

Just thought I'd share some good news as there doesn't seem to be many positive things to report at the minute :(

ohh hthats cool didnt realise places needed fosterers of hammies i would happily foster another ham, may contact my local rescue !!good for you xx

That's exciting! Keep us posted. I was very fond of a friend's gerbil when I was a teenager (rather a long time ago :(). He was called Bouncer and I'm afraid we overfed him so he was quite a tubby gerbil.

ohh hthats cool didnt realise places needed fosterers of hammies i would happily foster another ham, may contact my local rescue !!good for you xx

I'm guessing they struggle to find fosterers and adopters of hammies and other small furries because people don't realise they are in rescues. I didn't even know rabbits were until I found RU :wave: xx

NRSA have got 2 white gerbils who were going to be snake food - they always need foster homes for buns and small furries. And there's a lovely a hamster on their website aswell.

http://www.nrsarescue.org/furries1.html

I think this is the hammie I am going to be fostering :D and a single female gerbil who isn't on there. I did consider fostering Bill and Ted as well but didn't want to take too many on at once

that's fab, well done. I found them through RSPCA as my friend has kenels and takes in some of the RSPCA doggies.

We used to foster for the rspca for all rodents
its pretty cool, but i found because we were one of the fair few in our area we got bombarded with rodents and having to get them homes was hard, not sure if its changed now but we used to have to try find them homes ourself more than the rspca did. and it was pretty hard with the rats they wernt a popular pet at the time but the hammies went fast aswell as the others.
So we ended up making most rats a perminant stay.

We used to foster for the rspca for all rodents
its pretty cool, but i found because we were one of the fair few in our area we got bombarded with rodents and having to get them homes was hard, not sure if its changed now but we used to have to try find them homes ourself more than the rspca did. and it was pretty hard with the rats they wernt a popular pet at the time but the hammies went fast aswell as the others.
So we ended up making most rats a perminant stay.

Don't worry I'm aware that some will be permanent stays :) that's why I said I'd only take on two at first.

Don't worry I'm aware that some will be permanent stays :) that's why I said I'd only take on two at first.

Yeah sometimes i think the smaller pets are hard to find homes many people dont liek them because they can sometimes nip not be ideal for kids. I mean they dont know what there missing the recued pets get much more character and feel more special <3

Yeah sometimes i think the smaller pets are hard to find homes many people dont liek them because they can sometimes nip not be ideal for kids. I mean they dont know what there missing the recued pets get much more character and feel more special <3

so true. I also think people aren't prepared to go to the effort of waiting and of home checks for small pets :( and they might not even be aware that you can get small pets from rescues

so true. I also think people aren't prepared to go to the effort of waiting and of home checks for small pets :( and they might not even be aware that you can get small pets from rescues

Yes lucky for me i known a lot of people my area who wanted small pets but obv wanted to visit them and see if they bitten as a hamster is always a childs pet although we were not allowed to home to anyone with a under 5 in the home.
i find kind of bad because my daughter is one and a lot of places dont home with young childeren in the family, incase they get bored or end up in the rescue again, but i mean if its there parents wnating the pet hardly fair lol

Yes lucky for me i known a lot of people my area who wanted small pets but obv wanted to visit them and see if they bitten as a hamster is always a childs pet although we were not allowed to home to anyone with a under 5 in the home.
i find kind of bad because my daughter is one and a lot of places dont home with young childeren in the family, incase they get bored or end up in the rescue again, but i mean if its there parents wnating the pet hardly fair lol

I know, some places can be too strict :(

Rehoming is very strict - but rightly so, with other animals too - we would now 'fail' most doggie rescues checks as we work full time. but the dog would have 3 walks a day, inclduing dog walker at lunch time and this would work well for older dogs, which is what i'd want anyway.
so some poor veteran doggie is stuck in a rescue somewhere when we could give them a good and appropriate home, but the rescuers often don't want to hear that (and of course they can only go on what people tell them)
i am so pleased that you've got some small furries to foster - if my OH wasn't alergic to fluffy fur (cats, buns, horses - not dogs!) then I'd have a house full:lol:

Back