• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice please! Emergency vet trip in middle of night with poss ec :o(

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
Hi everyone, some of you will probably have seen my pics of my new bunnies Olly and Honey. Well last night Olly was sitting around more than usual (in the lounge) then went into the pet carrier and lay down. I just thought he was sleepy so left him there, but at 11.15 when we were going to bed I went to move him to put him back in the cage and he couldn't stand up, he flopped onto his other side and again just lay there :eek:( I picked him up and took him into the hall where the cage is and put him down, and he was swaying about and looked really dizzy. He had been sitting slightly lopsided earlier so my immediate thoughts were ec... I lost a bunny (minnie) to ec a few years ago and so didn't want to waste any time. I rang a few emergency vet numbers from the yellow pages (they hadn't been to the vet before as they are only 10 weeks old) and the closest was one in Bury at the Rock. When we got there I was horrified to find a totally disinterested vet :( I put Olly on the floor and he hopped around relatively normally so the vet more or less said he was fine. I insisted that he give me some panacur rabbit, as I had intended to give them both this anyway when they were a bit bigger :( He didn't even examine Olly properly and so it cost me £88 for a tube of panacur!!! This morning Olly didn't seem much different so we took him to our local vet where we take our cat, the difference was unbelievable. This vet checked everything that could possibly be checked, explained everything to us and said that it was too early to tell if it was actually ec, but to give them both the panacur and if Olly starts to get head tilt or flickering eyes then to take him straight back for some steroids (is that metacam??) He said at the moment they are too young really to give steroids unless absolutely necessary because it could cause other problems. He gave them both antibiotic injections of baytril as Honey has sore eyes at the moment and Olly's been a bit snuffly. We've got to give them the baytril for 5 days by syringe as well as carrying on with the panacur. Does everyone think this was good advice or should something else have been done? I was impressed with the vet, he seemed to know what he was talking about, unlike the other chap DAVID DUNSMUIR, scottish vet to avoid at all costs!!! He didn't have a clue and didn't care :( Any advice welcomed thanks x

Last edited:
I would put in a written complaint to the unhelpful vet. He clearly shouldn't be practising if he didn't do his job properly. I would also copy your letter (should you decide to do one) and forward it to the MRCVS. It's awful having a vet who doesn't care when you need them and having to pay the emergency rate to be told he ok:?.Good luck & let us know what happens.:)

Back