• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another 'Non Bunny People' Thread - Parents! :(

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
Parents have invited us over for boxing day, over 200 miles away.

I've said we can come for the day, but we can't stay over, as i'd need to get back for the bunnies.

Their response was;

"Those bloody rabbits! They ruin everything!"

:cry:

those bloody parents they ruin everything:roll::)

really some people, will they realise what they said or still be spiteful?

how rude :shock: (and disappointing that they don't take your commitments into consideration)

The rabbits come with us for christmas/boxing day stays at parents..is that an option?

not a chance unfortunately - my mum DETESTS animals :(

Also, Biscuit hates travelling, even 5 mins to the vets he gets all stressy. If it was just Ginger, it would be a whole new story but the fact my mum doesnt want them in the house is my problem :(

my mum said the same when I couldn't go back to dogsit for them while they went on holiday :( it's awful when it's your parents you can't exactly just take it on the chin :cry:

not a chance unfortunately - my mum DETESTS animals :(

Also, Biscuit hates travelling, even 5 mins to the vets he gets all stressy. If it was just Ginger, it would be a whole new story but the fact my mum doesnt want them in the house is my problem :(

Ah I'm guessing she doesn't see you often as is upset that you are cutting short the time she will have because of something which as a non animal lover she sees as irrelevant...not saying it's right but paints a slightly different light on it...could anyone bunny watch for you?

thats really sad :( we was talking about a trip to blackpool the other day and Ste joked id have to stay home so Alvin dont get stroppy.. not once did his step dad say anything horrid about the buns.. he just reakoned theyd be ok for a day.

i cant imagine having people in my family who are mean about my pets :?

D&Ds first Christmas I had the same problem and my dad said I should come and bring the buns and we could set them up a house in the garage. I thought great idea as garage is attached to their house and not cold so I went all out to get the biggest dog crate I could find, it was massive but would only have been for two days. Nearer the time I asked when I should come over to set it up and he was amazed as he had been joking :shock: :evil:

how awful im lucky my buns and hamsters come with me to rents if its for more than a day and my parents took us out for lunch on sunday to cheer us up after some sad times and were happy to leave without cofee/dessert because we needed to be back for buns, so horrible if people dont understand, i feel so lucky, my best freind doesnt like animals much but when dora lost her freind snowy and was depressed and moping she even let dora come to her house when we went over for the evening, dora was pretty good and my best freind even gave her a stroke... so sorry people especially parents dont understnad. x

I've had a very similar conversation with my parents. They invited us for New Years Eve but we could only find boarding spaces for outdoor buns so nowhere for Marble. When I said we couldnt come my Dad asked if Marble could go a few days without feeding!!!!!:shock::evil:

We will be staying at home.

I get this a lot too and it's very hurtful. I don't have kids so my pets are everything to me. people seem to think it would be more convenient for me not to have them so I can suit thier plans. One day I'd like to get a dog, but I know they'll all just say "oh, they're very tieing" in very foreboding tones, just thinking about how it will inconvenience them! But what about me, who needs something to love?

Even my OH who is wonderful in every way gets annoyed by me having them, he feels the whole weekend is dictated by when I clean the rabbits out, so it feels like he'd like me to not have them to suit the one or two weekends a year when he wants to do something when I'm cleaning out.

Ooh, this has hit a nerve with me this has!! :lol::lol:

This makes me very sad :( unfortunately not everybody sees pets (especially smaller ones) as part of the family.

Is there any chance she meant it in jest? Try not to let it get to you Gray, the main thing is that you are an excellent bunny daddy who loves Biscuit and Ginger.

I get this a lot too and it's very hurtful. I don't have kids so my pets are everything to me. people seem to think it would be more convenient for me not to have them so I can suit thier plans. One day I'd like to get a dog, but I know they'll all just say "oh, they're very tieing" in very foreboding tones, just thinking about how it will inconvenience them! But what about me, who needs something to love?
Even my OH who is wonderful in every way gets annoyed by me having them, he feels the whole weekend is dictated by when I clean the rabbits out, so it feels like he'd like me to not have them to suit the one or two weekends a year when he wants to do something when I'm cleaning out.

Ooh, this has hit a nerve with me this has!! :lol::lol:

This is exactly how I feel :wave:

This makes me very sad :( unfortunately not everybody sees pets (especially smaller ones) as part of the family.

Is there any chance she meant it in jest? Try not to let it get to you Gray, the main thing is that you are an excellent bunny daddy who loves Biscuit and Ginger.

nope, not a jest at all :(

It's actually really upset me. I've never had any pets to look after in the past. It's so upsetting that nobody understands how i feel about these two. They are more like friends/family than pets.

I'm sorry you've been so hurt. :( Poor Biscuit and Ginger - hard to believe anyone can resist the appeal of their wee faces. :love:

It is sad that people you are related to don't understand what's important to you.
But that's family for you.
I hope you find an amicable arrangement, Christmas is stressful enough without this sort of thing.

Ohhh Gray :( we know how you feel, we love our buns just as much as you! People can't seem to understand bunny love until they have experienced it themselves.

And I agree with Susie, who could resist Biscuit and Gingers little faces, I feel all "squee" whenever I see them :love:

Back